Sign in to follow this  

Why do I have to use hot start everytime?

I have a 2005 honda 450x that has just developed a problem. On the last trail ride at the beginning the bike started immediately with the button. Half way through the ride we stopped for a break at a gas station. We were stopped for approx. 45 minutes. I filled up with 87 octane at some "mom and pop" store. When I went to start the bike it would not start unless I used the hot start button. After I got home, I went to wash the bike and I had to use the hot start again to fire her up. Is this a symptom of tight valves or dirt/water in the carb? For what its worth I went to start the bike after three days of setting and had to use the hot start again. :) Thanks in advance for any help.

What was the temperature and were you using the enrichener? Personaly I've never used the hot start...hot, cold or otherwise. If it was cold out your bike will obviously cool down quicker and you may need to use the enrich to get her to start (just don't run it longer than you have to unless you like changing plugs. "87 octane".....shame on you:jawdrop:

As soon as we pulled into the station, I began to worry. For the life of me it looked like Goobers filling station on Andy Griffith. There were two pumps one with 87 and one with 89 and it was empty.:)