mikuni bsr36 carb top

I have read on this forum , that the american mikuni model does not have the vacuum hose attatched to it`s top and it is a std. part replacement to get rid of the old one . But it seems every page I search , I am seeing the exact same one , that I have in australia . I have used the links on this forum to the sites that were put up as having the american spec top , but that also shows the same top as my carby . Am I not going to the right place ? or should I be looking elsewhere ? , or maybe I was mistaken ? Could someone let me know if it is possible for me to get rid of it like I have read . If I could , I would like to swap it out and not use a bolt to plug the old one . I have disabled the solinoide , but I would like to get rid of all of that plumbing , Thanx for any help guys , greg

I have read on this forum , that the american mikuni model does not have the vacuum hose attatched to it`s top and it is a std. part replacement to get rid of the old one . But it seems every page I search , I am seeing the exact same one , that I have in australia . I have used the links on this forum to the sites that were put up as having the american spec top , but that also shows the same top as my carby . Am I not going to the right place ? or should I be looking elsewhere ? , or maybe I was mistaken ? Could someone let me know if it is possible for me to get rid of it like I have read . If I could , I would like to swap it out and not use a bolt to plug the old one . I have disabled the solinoide , but I would like to get rid of all of that plumbing , Thanx for any help guys , greg

Mine had it on the carb.......?:banghead:

Erling

hinsky - US/Canadian models do not have the slide control valve. All the tops I have ever looked at do not have the nipple. It is possible I have not been paying attention to the newer year bikes and they do have the nipple plugged off but I have not seen it. Perhaps someone with a newer bike can clarify. You can cap off the nipple on your Aussie carb top and do away with the plumbing. Not as nice as a blank top but functionally the same. Don't stick a threaded bolt in a hose, that never seals well.

Erling- You are confusing me. What nipple did your carb have? What hinsky is asking about is a slide control valve that bolts on to the bottom of the carb and a big hose (10mm id) that runs up to the plastic top over the diaphragm. Its purpose is to limit power in the lower gears and is controlled by gear position and the CDI box on European/Aussie bikes.

hinsky - US/Canadian models do not have the slide control valve. All the tops I have ever looked at do not have the nipple. It is possible I have not been paying attention to the newer year bikes and they do have the nipple plugged off but I have not seen it. Perhaps someone with a newer bike can clarify. You can cap off the nipple on your Aussie carb top and do away with the plumbing. Not as nice as a blank top but functionally the same. Don't stick a threaded bolt in a hose, that never seals well.

Erling- You are confusing me. What nipple did your carb have? What hinsky is asking about is a slide control valve that bolts on to the bottom of the carb and a big hose (10mm id) that runs up to the plastic top over the diaphragm. Its purpose is to limit power in the lower gears and is controlled by gear position and the CDI box on European/Aussie bikes.

Sorry Noble....Did`nt mean to..... I thought the op was asking whether the vaccum nipple on the carb....were not there on US models.....Not a slide control valve. I was talking about the vaccum nipple for the petcock......

Erling

Erling - OK, thanks. Yes, all US/Canadian carbs do have a small brass nipple in the carb body for a vacuum operated fuel valve. Some "world market" bikes do not have that nipple and come with a manual operated fuel valve.

hinski - As far as I know, all US/Canadian BSR 36 carb tops are blank. You should be able to order a top from a US dealer or here on TT. Or just buy a complete used US carb.

Thanx Noble . Thats what every poster here has said at some time or another , and they have even posted links to the site to order it , but every pic and diagram shows the same top I have . All I want is the top of the carby so it looks neater than it would look plugged up , greg ?