Sign in to follow this  

2007 xr650l questions

i just bought a 2007 xr650l with 328 miles on it like new!!!! still has titties on the tires!, ive owned honda 400ex, honda 450r, quads with alot of mods!! sold my springer classic last summer ,and wanted a bike to ride to have fun on and save gas to work, please tell me the goods and bads, things to look for and cheap mods, first thing id like to change is that huge looking garbage can pipe, lmao............ omg is it a big pipe, i hope these are as reliable as my other honda's are these good bikes? , i was thinkin pipe {slip on} and kn filter for starters, are these powerfull? i know im 6'1 and can barley touch the ground!!! and i dont like the metal tank, how is the oil in the frame deal? first bike with this option

Welcome to the club.

the 650L is a great bike ... for its intended uses.

It's reliable and imho the best of the big three fat pig dual sports off road ( DR, KLR, XRL ).

You'll want a bigger tank, so factor that in.

Get a foam filter and do Dave's mods ( everyone will tell you this ).

the stock muffler isn't that bad with a baffle mod performance wise ... if you want better looks there are lots of options.

I run an old ugly supertrapp with 5 discs ( to try to keep the damn thing quiet ) and my bike runs great with the jettings mods.

no problems with oil in the frame. You just need to get in the habit of checking your oil when you are DONE with your ride .. because you can't check it cold on this bike. Make it a habit, check the oil when you park your bike, and then know it's ready for your next ride.

Jetting will help the bike run a little cooler .... they can get hot enough to run rough with the stock jetting if you push them hard uphill.

Welcome to the BRP forum.

First of all (and cheap) remove stock air-box inlet, Dave Mods, free flow filter and muffler work.

Then if money isn´t the problem, it´s posible to create a rocket.

Good luck

Welcome, and congratulations. :)

Here's what I'd do..

1. Daves carb mods including UNI filter (easy) $30

2. Tank 4.0 or a 4.7 gal

3. Handlebars, the stock ones are pretty low and swept back.

4. If you are going in the woods riding, add some appropriate tires.

The bike is a blast to ride. I personally really like the simplicity of the engine. No coolant to worry about.

why doesnt folks here like the k and n filter , i always seemed to have gl with it, and the recharge kits are sold at farm and fleet? also can i get some pics posted of the daves mods

also where and what tanks are the best to get , pics also of that would be nice , ty guys , also on my 450r i used the yoshi tri oval racing full exhaust which was very nice, stage 2 hot cam, kand n filter, ehs racing air box lid,hrc snorkle mod, this thing is pretty new , i was the first person to scratch it ,i dropped the battery cover lol!, but thats why i got rid of the harley , so i could ride instead of worrying bout cleaning, lmao, i want to keep the bike relable

Here's mine:

DSC01049.jpg

That tank is an IMS, and I'm pretty happy with it. Fit's well and isn't too wide at the knees. As far as the K&N filters go, wether true or not, they have a rep for passing more dirt than the comprable UNI or other dual stage foam element.

I also have an IMS 4.0 and like the way it fits. It has all the range I will ever need.

The "daves" carb mods are in the FAQ sticky at the top and you can do a search for all the information you care to read.

002.gif

The factory muffler is'nt all that heavy, and as far as size I looked at a few aftermarket slipons, close at the FMF Q4 but it looked huge also. I went with a Supertrapp IDS2 because it was the smallest slipon I found. If there was any weight savings, its minimal, and power is'nt any better than the factory pipe with the baffle removed. IMO the muffler is one of the last mods I'd do.

The factory muffler with the baffle removed will run much better than stock and does'nt cost a dime extra. Larger fuel tank should be #1 mod on list.

Carrying the oil in the frame is'nt anything new, a lot of bikes from the 80's and up do this. Not any different from the dry sump system on your previous Springer, instead of haveing a seperate oil tank, the oil tank is built into the frame.

Here's mine:

DSC01049.jpg

That tank is an IMS, and I'm pretty happy with it. Fit's well and isn't too wide at the knees. As far as the K&N filters go, wether true or not, they have a rep for passing more dirt than the comprable UNI or other dual stage foam element.

How do you like your Dirt Bagz?

I absolutely love the dirt-bagz, they fit well, are of great quality, are relatively light and unobtrusive (compared to hard cases) and make my bike 100% more functional. Another plus to these is they are USA made.

I absolutely love the dirt-bagz, they fit well, are of great quality, are relatively light and unobtrusive (compared to hard cases) and make my bike 100% more functional. Another plus to these is they are USA made.

cbreakin , why does your fork covers look different , then the accordian looking covers mine has?