Sign in to follow this  

Rm250 - Changes Between 2001 & 2003

I was wondering what changes where made between these two years? I am going to soon be in the market for one and these are the most common years.. and also.. I would be wanting to buy an FMF Q Steath exhaust for it.. but I see they only make them for the 03+ but I compared part numbers and there the same (via ServiceHonda.com) What changed there?

Also.. what should I look for in a used RM250?

Thanks!

I have an 01 and that Q pipe SUCKS! It sticks out past the rear fender and chokes off A LOT of power but it will get you by when a ranger stops to check things out. Fun bike to ride and it handles well.....the 03 has the 1 piece (less problematic) powervalve .....other than that ergonomically they are identical although I do believe the 03 has Showa suspension? It is better than the KYB's on the 01 if you are into moto if not then the KYB's will work fine

an fmf turbinecore is us forestry approved....and it is shorter than the Q.

The 01,02 had yellow # plates , the 03 had white. 03 still has kyb suspension.

Also the 01,02 have slotted disc brakes....the 03 and newer have the hole(y) disc brakes.

I have an 03 and the suspension is good enough stock...I weigh 200# and race offroad....

rm 250's have really long lasting footpegs....easy to jet carburetors...and lots of interchangeable parts from year to year....( seats, tanks, shrouds, air filters, wheels.

just out of curiosity, what also changed from 03 to 08? are the newer ones really any better than the older ones?

01-02 has a cylinder flaw, 03 went to current design. Best to look for an 03 up.