Sign in to follow this  

Tool pack reccomendations?

I'm looking for a good tool pack. Something that will bolt on to the bike, be large enough to hold lots of tools for longer rides, where you aren't going to be able to be towed out, due to terrain or distance or whatever. It's got to be secure, and hold whatever I need, and of course decent quality and durablity are important as well... Thanks..

Cheers.

Ya, I don't like a fender pack as I would kick it all the time mounting the bike. So I zip-tie my irons and axle wrench into the airbox, run a front tube bag with a tube, co2 inflator, and patch kit, then put the rest in the backpack/hydration pack:

1/4 drive sockets

allens to fit the bike

multi-screwdriver

pliers

plug and wrench

mini-vice grips

spare hose clamps

some wire

some duct tape on a pencil

electrical tape

assorted zip-ties.

It's about 4-5lbs.

KTM hardparts offers a pretty nice fender bag if you insist: https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=58312078000&Category_Code=

58312078000.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

A $10.00 fanny pack I bought a walmart. I cut the straps off. Cut a small piece of plastic off an old fender and put the plastic in the the pack and bolted it to the rear fender.

I agree with the comment about kicking the bag when getting on and off the bike. It WILL happen, and you WILL fall over. Also, the bag will bounce around, rattle, and eventually come loose if you ride hard off road.

The tried and true method is to use an enduro fanny pack. You will get used to it in no time, and its easy to access. Another option is to get one of those hydration backpacks with a pocket for tools, etc.

I know it seems better to carry this stuff on the bike, but it is actually better to put it on your back or butt.

I love my Ogio Flight Vest, I so far, carry zip ties, 3 tire spoons, 1-2 spare tubes, the KTM tool bag that came with the bike, co2+co2 kit, tire plugs, and a few other small things Im forgetting. Oh a tire pressure guage.

I really like the tool kits from Blue ridge. The rear fender bag from Dirt Bike gear is real nice. I use their tool wrap and it is very, very good. I have the Blue ridge waist pack and the Dirt bike gear fender bag and cannot decide which one I like to use. I do hit the fender bag with my boot {especially mx boots} I may put the tools back in the waist pack and go for a ride to see how it feels along with my hydration pack.

I've tried a variety of tool storage options. Here's my recent and one I've like the best.

http://www.rabproducts.com/home.htm

http://www.rabproducts.com/StowX-Use%20and%20Care.htm

I keep tools up front on the fender and put the rest in my Camelbak storage compartments. The other storage I use is an MSR Race Pack for light weight. I've also seen people store a tool wrap in the air box, near the sub frame. That's another great option.