Sign in to follow this  

My new low dollar clutch mod..awful pictures added???????

This will be the cheapest and easiest mod you ever did. Everyone will have the parts at home to complete it. I'll be dammed if it wont make a difference in consistency. I wont take credit as I saw the mod on JBS's yzf 450. Total cost will be as much as your willign to spend on a tiny spring..not much bigger than a ball point pin comes with.

Anyone interested? My camera blows. If there is interest, i wil take a picture tomorrow and we'll discuss it.

No shtick here. This is true and on the level. if anyone has seen this months DR, feel free to post the picture. After seeing the picture, you'll ge tit. Its also good for other yz's besides the 250..and many other bikes.

Sorry! I cannot take a pic tonight..too dark. It will work on any CABLE clutch...no matter what it controls. Its cheap and makes a nice difference in consistency.

Be on the lookout for small springs. About the length of a spring from a ball point pen or slightly larger. Nothing much stiffer than ball point pens use. Find several if you can and we'll experiment.

The mod makes the clutch freeplay EASY to set. No more experimenting. It also stays consistent.

I bought a spring assortment form Lowes and found MANY possible candidates. After 2-3 tries, i found the one I like.

No online pics yet. i will shoot one early in the morning. The pic will explain what it would take 6 paragraphs to explain. The pic looked like BS, but I tried it anyway.

The pic is in the April 09 issue of dirt Rider. Look though the article and pages on the factory bikes.

The dr picture is SMALL and i have no way to pu tit on. I did my best to take a picture of mine.

To set the stage here, your taking off the ignition cover. Were showing that empty cable space between the black clutch housing and the clamp that holds the end of the clutch cable. The small spring fits in this area...experiment to figure out how much tension you like. It takes very little spring tension to make the clutch pull harder. The idea here is the little "supplemental return spring" takes the slop out of a nice, smooth cable. If its old and stocky, dont bother.

Now, the right side shows my black case saver. The left side shows my black painted flywheel with a white piece of paper over it. The paper is also under the spring and cable to highlight it better.

The second pdf shows it better, but the first may work also. I can try to take new photos tomorrow if necessary.

Dont disconnect the cable to add the spring...it wont fit over the end. Open one end of the spring up and spiral it on the cable. Sorry for making this sound as complicated as a govt bailout, its not. It is possibly more successful than the bailout.

If you need a good picture, Try the April issue of Dirt Rider. They say JBS's 450 has this added on.

Let me know if you like it. I found clutch freeplay MUCH easier to set exact with this spring in place. Remember, you need abotu One Nickles worth of play between the perch and lever if its set correctly.

yz250clutch.pdf

122508 108.jpg

Cool !

That little spring is of fine wire , It makes a good bit of difference ??

PS> thats a clean engine !

thanks, 24hrsparkey

why you spray paint your flywheel?

here is the picture from dr

DSC_0122.jpg

I spray painted the flywheel because a bunch of you scared me showing rusty flywheels. So, I coated it. I only had a can of Krylon Fusion in th egarage, so I used it. The stuff sticks like crazy despite it being for plastic.

The spring is really wimpy. I tried a man sized one and the results were not good. The leverage at that point is near zero. A heavy spring makes the lever hard to pull. The wimpy causes no issues.

It feels like it takes the slack out of the cable and housing. When the bike is cols and you set freeplay at the clutch perch, this really helps.

The engine is clean due to two things. The winters in Utah are LONG if you dont ski or snowmobile. and two, maxima sc1 (a sort of silicon spray). That stuff makes a filthy engine look eat off of clean.

I dont see the mod as being a big deal, but its possibly the cheapest one we have ever posted! LOL

Very cool!

I like the rear brake mod they did in similar fashion. I've been thinking about ways to pull that one off.

Very cool!

I like the rear brake mod they did in similar fashion. I've been thinking about ways to pull that one off.

That looked cool as well. I found a "top hat" from one of my airguns that has potential.....

I spray painted the flywheel because a bunch of you scared me showing rusty flywheels. So, I coated it. I only had a can of Krylon Fusion in th egarage, so I used it. The stuff sticks like crazy despite it being for plastic.

The spring is really wimpy. I tried a man sized one and the results were not good. The leverage at that point is near zero. A heavy spring makes the lever hard to pull. The wimpy causes no issues.

It feels like it takes the slack out of the cable and housing. When the bike is cols and you set freeplay at the clutch perch, this really helps.

The engine is clean due to two things. The winters in Utah are LONG if you dont ski or snowmobile. and two, maxima sc1 (a sort of silicon spray). That stuff makes a filthy engine look eat off of clean.

I dont see the mod as being a big deal, but its possibly the cheapest one we have ever posted! LOL

just a thought,that krylon paint may trap moisture against the metal.did you use a proper metal primer sealer first?

i put a small pen spring in mine today. kinda cool but i dont see how it makes the free play consistent. but it did keep my leaver from vibration at idle

i put a small pen spring in mine today. kinda cool but i dont see how it makes the free play consistent. but it did keep my leaver from vibration at idle

Find a stiffer spring. I THINK were looking for something stiff enough to pull the calbe slack from the perch and the lower cable attachment point.

With the Rekluse this might help too. Cause the clutch action goes soft with the rekluse pro. So a little extra tension would be nice.

Just don't do it if you have a hydraulic clutch. Would ruin the fact that it self adjusts.:)