Sign in to follow this  

I thought Eibach for springs were...

Supposed to be full length? I got my .47 Eibachs in today and they came with the clear plastic tube to cut down for preload. I thought I read on here that they were full length springs and didn't use the preload plastic piece. Am I wrong?

You must be wrong. Give them a try. They should work great!

You must be wrong. Give them a try. They should work great!

I dropped them off to pro action today and we both were taken back that it came with the plastic piece. I've heard good things about these springs and that's why I ordered them.

Supposed to be full length? I got my .47 Eibachs in today and they came with the clear plastic tube to cut down for preload. I thought I read on here that they were full length springs and didn't use the preload plastic piece. Am I wrong?

i had heard that they were full length too...BUT those were fairly high spring rates so that's probably why they were shorter...how long were the spacers 30-40mm???

and they were just spacers...not preload spacers even though they do provide factory preload...if that makes sence :banghead:

:)

THe clear plastic piece was about 8" long, so I guess you cut that into two 4" pieces. There was also 4 metal rings that came with it. I take it that those go on each end of the spring? I imagine the guy that's installing them should know how everything should go.

When I got my race tech .46 fork springs they to has a piece of PVC pipe and 4 washers.

Instructions were something like install spring and fully extend the damper rod. Measure distance between top of spring and the bottom of the fork cap. Cut PVC pipe to this length and then place the pipe between two of the supplied washers on top of the spring.

I was really bummed to see that I had to use a chunk of PVC to make things right. And after all of the hassle the .46 is still WAY soft and the stiffest springs for the XRL are .47. Oh and it is not like I am 400lbs I just want this thing stiff for sumo use but I have decided that the XRL is a big wallowing pig on the street and is not well suited for sumo.

Even then I have little problem bottoming out the forks out on the double track. Maybe I should slow it down a bit.

works well or not i wouldnt use pvc either, just me though

When I 1st got my R, I bought/ran .47's for the forks - they were full length.

Must do it different for different forks(?) - nothing wrong with spacers to make the rate though, jst seem cheesy

Even then I have little problem bottoming out the forks out on the double track. Maybe I should slow it down a bit.

If you get a fork brace or better yet a set of USD forks you won't have that problem. With the conventionals I had to crank the dampening all the way down but they flex too much and the fork ends up doing too much work.

my eibach .49 were full length,but they were purchased 8 years ago.my race tech .47 were shorter.where did your springs come from? i wonder if they are not true eibach?the eibach site lists the length,check them against that measurement. thanks cj xr650r

my eibach .49 were full length,but they were purchased 8 years ago.my race tech .47 were shorter.where did your springs come from? i wonder if they are not true eibach?the eibach site lists the length,check them against that measurement. thanks cj xr650r

I got them through the TT store, but he couldn't get them direct so he had to go through Race tech. So Race Tech ordered them and shipped them to TT, they in turn shipped them to me. The boxes for both the Frok & shock springs said Eibach on them. Maybe they are cutting costs by using less metal these days?

I guess it doesn't really matter, riding season is almost here and I want to get the darn bike sprung for my sexy tubbyness.

went to the eibach website seems they make custom springs. though if the foks are to soft i would suggest a revalave for more compression dampining

I went onto EIbachs site and the part #'s all match up. So if they used to make the springs full length, they don't anymore. Can't hold it against them if they are trying to cut costs to stay in business. I'm sure the spring rate won't be affected and it's not like you would use up a full length spring anyway.

I asked the guy to put 10 weight in the forks too. Seems that'll help tighten it up a bit.

If I can get my shock out over the next week, I'm going to have him re valve it too for the new 12 spring.

I'm very interested to see how different the handling characteristics will be when this is all said and done....c'mon nice weather:ride:

I was really bummed to see that I had to use a chunk of PVC to make things right. And after all of the hassle the .46 is still WAY soft and the stiffest springs for the XRL are .47. Oh and it is not like I am 400lbs I just want this thing stiff for sumo use but I have decided that the XRL is a big wallowing pig on the street and is not well suited for sumo.

If you get a fork brace or better yet a set of USD forks you won't have that problem. With the conventionals I had to crank the dampening all the way down but they flex too much and the fork ends up doing too much work.

yup...bump up the compression and/or increase the oil level...u can even increase the spacer length to add preload and it will remove all initial softness from the first inch or two from the forks movement but ur ride/wrists will suffer.

works well or not i wouldnt use pvc either, just me though

it's not unusual to use a spacer and PCV is easy to work with...my big green pickled pig had metal spacers from the factory :banghead:

When I 1st got my R, I bought/ran .47's for the forks - they were full length.

Must do it different for different forks(?) - nothing wrong with spacers to make the rate though, jst seem cheesy

Bought a set of .47's last month & they were full length, no spacer of any kind. I would call Race Tech & ask why.

I went onto EIbachs site and the part #'s all match up. So if they used to make the springs full length, they don't anymore. Can't hold it against them if they are trying to cut costs to stay in business. I'm sure the spring rate won't be affected and it's not like you would use up a full length spring anyway.

I asked the guy to put 10 weight in the forks too. Seems that'll help tighten it up a bit.

If I can get my shock out over the next week, I'm going to have him re valve it too for the new 12 spring.

I'm very interested to see how different the handling characteristics will be when this is all said and done....c'mon nice weather:ride:

do the spring themselves have the P/N on them??? ...they shud.

i wudn't put it past sum of those places to subsitute there own springs and i believe i read Race Tech pushes one spring size that they happen to make(or buy cheaply) :banghead:

P.S. i wud check with Eibach...

P.S.S. maybe not Eibach says spring measures 36.7 x 36.7 x 510 mm and the manual says free length 576mm so that leads me to believe the Eibach is shorter than the stockers.

I got those same Eibach .47s last year for my 600R and they came with the plastic tube spacer. I cut the spacers so the spring/spacer assembly was the same length as the stock spring. They work just fine.