Sign in to follow this  

Maintenance

I just bought a used YZ250F 2007 and I am wondering what kind of stuff I should check before I ride it. I have never owned a bike this big before. I also want to know what maintenance I need to do on it and how often.

Check the valves also grease the bearings in the steering stem and all linkage and swing arm bearings. Do an oil change and cut the filter open and run a magnet over it looking for ferrous(magnetic) metal particles. That should give you a good idea of the condition of the engine.

How much would it cost to buy all of those parts? Also, what is basic maintenance that I should do and how often? This is my first Motocross bike so I have no idea.

Since 2002 I've had good luck with my engines and longevity by changing the oil every 300 miles, replacing the oil filter every other oil change and cleaning the air filter when it's obviously dirty; sometimes that's after a ride and sometimes it's weeksn on end. And I drain my carb after every wash.

Your manual will tell you. It has maintenance intervals in it near the front. Also, use the search button near the top right of your screen on TT. you will find so many threads on it. I honestly believe it alot of personal preferance and a bit of trail and error. You will get so many different ideas and opinions, it's not funny. Do some research, ask some buddies, people at the track and if you have more question, ask. Hope this helps.

Also, what the others have said here is good advice but do some more searching and you will find even more information.

Kyle

kyle

I suggest changing oil every 3-5 hours and clean the air filter after every ride. I have a stainless reusable oil filter but I used to change paper oil filters every other oil change. Get an hour meter they are only about $35 and they help with knowing when to do maintenance.

Get an hour meter they are only about $35 and they help with knowing when to do maintenance.

Point me to a good one.

Hardline makes an hour meter that shows engine rpm when the bike is running which is nice for setting your idle. If you want something really technical Dr.D makes one that can measure max rpm during a race and some other statistics. I like the hardline meters because they're encased in epoxy so they're completely waterproof.

change oil and filter-every 10-15 hours if not racing hard. clean air filter-when it looks really dirty. grease wheel baearings, steering stem and linkage bearings 1-2 times a year. check adjust chain- every 2 hours. check spokes after every ride.

take a spoke wrench and SLIGHTY tap it off the spoke, if it makes a TING/DING sound, ur good, leave it alone, if it makes a DONK/CLONK, dull sound, turn it 1/4 of a turn and go around and keep checken them.