Sign in to follow this  

01 CR 125 Mid - Top end sputter

I have an 01 CR125 I just bought the bike for a steal of a deal figureing i could fix this problem. I have no history on the bike other than it didn't run right. I just replaced the top end so i have maybe 30 min on it. The problem is the motor is flat = no mid to top end power. It pulls ok up till maybe 1/4 to 1/3 throttle then it falls flat on its face. If i roll on to the throttle it pull's better than just twisting wide open and once the Rpm's come up to 3/4 throttle it starts to sputter on and off the power. I can tell the power is there because when it is sputtering it pull's hard then fall's off and it happen's fairly rappidly.

Any other idea's would be greatly appreciated!!

I have tried.

jetting up and down from 380- 320

eliminating the power valve (as in keeping it in the wide open position.) Ithought the PV govenor was faulty

Checked the Reeds

Changed the plug

Fresh fuel

The pipe is somewhat gunked up but nothing that i could see that should affect the power that much. I am leaning more towards a bad coil or bad pick up on the stator.

For anyone that comes across this post i have fixed the problem. I pretty much dismantled the entire ignition system and cleaned everything and re asembled it. I did so much at one time that i can't pin point the fix exactly but i think it was a grounding issue with the coil. There was lot's of corrosion on the coil mounts and on the coil it's self. there was also a bit of rust on the fly wheel do to moisture in the side cover I removed the fly wheel and stator and cleaned everything with electrical contact cleaner and scrubed the little bit of rust off with a scotch bright pad then reassembled everyting. The bike run's strong now and i hope this post can help someone else down the road with a simular problem.

put in a new plug, cleaned up air filter, new oil, and also put your air to fuel screw back to stock settings so 1.5 turns out from snug then go from there