Sign in to follow this  

KDX Fork Swap - Need Info!

Just got a set of '02 KX250 forks for my KDX220, need some info on the swap.

I've read posts about the lower triple clamp mod so that the upper doesn't hit the gas tank. Also, removing the steering stem from my KDX clamp and moving it over to the KX triple clamp.

Other than a little wrench turning, is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Front wheel or brakes ?

Any help or advice that can be offered up would be greatly appreciated. Just want to be as prepared as possible when I go to tackle the job!

Thanks guys.

Thanks, went there and checked everything out. Just now need a front tire... My wife is gonna choke me when this stuff starts rolling in! Oh well, tis my only hobby.

Olhillbilly, don't you want to strike up a 93 vs 87 octane discussion here? Just joking my friend...

Several things thing to remember:

If you are going to put on KX forks, you will need a KX front wheel assembly (hub and axle); you can't use the KDX one. Also, you can get by with the stock KDX brake caliper and cable on the KX forks if you run the cable KDX style (behind the left fork). It won't reach if you use a KX caliper with the KDX cable.

Yes, the KDX stem and lower bearing will have to be pressed into the lower KX triple clamp. You use the upper KDX bearing for the top too. The upper part of the stem fits loose in the upper KX triple clamp and will have to be shimmed for a snug fit in the upper KX triple clamp.

Here's mine done:

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Good Luck! PM me if you got questions.

I've read posts about the lower triple clamp mod so that the upper doesn't hit the gas tank. Also, removing the steering stem from my KDX clamp and moving it over to the KX triple clamp.

Other than a little wrench turning, is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Front wheel or brakes ?

Any help or advice that can be offered up would be greatly appreciated. Just want to be as prepared as possible when I go to tackle the job!

Thanks guys.

Olhillbilly, don't you want to strike up a 93 vs 87 octane discussion here? Just joking my friend...

That was actually a pretty interesting thread going there until that one dude popped in and started giving me a ration. Oh well, you run into those kind once in a while. I need to go back on there and see if they've banned me.:)

The guy with all the tech info must work at a refinery or some kind of petroleum manufacturing lab. Pretty interesting stuff he was saying though.

Rodrigeo, what year model kx wheel will work with the 02 kx250 forks? I haven't been able to nail that down. If you know, please respond. Don't want to buy one that won't work.

Thanks

Why do this mod at all?

What makes the KX suspension so special?

What year/size for KX is ideal to repalce my stock KDX 220 97 bike?

Byte

Why do this mod at all?

What makes the KX suspension so special?

What year/size for KX is ideal to repalce my stock KDX 220 97 bike?

Byte

It's a more modern USD fork, with more mod-ability.

But I personally, am still in the "ride the bike and love it like it is" mode. I'll get there, but got to out ride the bike as it is before I do.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Dan - What year is your KDX220?

Is it OK to get a second hand KX set of forks and re-tune it etc..?

Byte

Hey Dan,

Keep in mind that the KX250 forks are 38mm and not the 36mm of earlier years. It makes a difference when picking up the triple clamp. You will need a 2002 year T-clamp to match those forks. I think there are several years of front KX wheel that will work, but you would need the correct spacers and axle. Again, I think the 2002 model forks used a unique axle/spacer set-up. I have a KX250 2002 bike so if you need measurements on anything, just let me know. I also installed some 1999 KX125 forks on a 1996 KDX220, so I know a little bit about this mod.

Thansk SkiPro3.

OK - I have now sourced a potential supplier for a compelte KX250 front end.

Where is this diameter of 38mm measured?

How do i know for sure these are KX250 2002 forks if I buy the forks unseen (interstate)?

Part numbers?

Shoudl I be asking for the spacer setup as well?

Byte

Byte I think Ski ment to say the 02 forks are 48mm not 46mm like the earlier ones were. That is the tube size not the holes in the tripple clamps.

Ed

Thanks Clyde.

How do i know for sure these are KX250 2002 forks if I buy the forks unseen (interstate)?

Byte

It is very hard to tell a 99-01 fork from the 02, the tube size is the easiest way. 48mm is 02, 46mm is 99-01. That said the 03 on are also 48mm but are different. I also don't think there is any wheel spacer difference on the 02 fork from the 99-01 as I just put a pair of my 99 forks on my 02 bike. So on that note Ski I haven't come up with as good a set up on my 02 forks as I have with my 99 forks you rode on my other bike.

The tripple clamps are unique to the 02 and the 99-01s are the same as each other, but they are the same at the frame so I can mix and match between my bikes.

Ed

gees - thanks.

what about part numers?

Ski,

The set-up I purchased is a complete front end, triple clamp, forks, bars, etc... The only thing I'm lacking is the wheel, I'll take care of that when I locate a decent one. I might reach out to you when I go to tackle this project for advice if I get into a bind. I'll be pumped to get it back together and try it out.

Thanks

whats a good kx wheel?

Suppleirs tell me that no part numbers exist on the forks - is this correct?

Byte