Sign in to follow this  

400e to sm exhaust

a friend of mine found a full after market system for a drz400e. will this fit a 400sm without issues? i did a search and im finding answers saying yes and others saying no.... so what's going on? new brackets? bolt on?

thanks.

Its not a direct bolt on. The mount at the pass peg does not line up, you can make it work with a little work.

is it a simple home made bracket? can i still use my passenger peg?

I added an E system to my SM, the simple fix for the misaligned E mid mounting point, was to use a piece of stainless hose clamp & fold a 90degree bend on one end, drill it to take a subframe rear footpeg bolt (6mm) then wrap it around the exhaust, pull it tight & bend again for the other footpeg bolt. Mark the hole point, trim to length & drill for the second bolt. I added a piece of rubber between the subframe & the exhaust. I've done a few miles running around & it is still in one piece ! I had to use shorter replacement bolts, as the footpeg bolts were too long without the footpeg & touched the exhaust.

You should be able to keep the pootpegs with this setup, as the hose clamp only adds 0.5mm between the sub-frame & footpeg hanger.

Depending on what E system it is there are several things you can do. Some you just bend the mount a bit. My OE E system on my S bike I removed the metal ring at the joint. This let the muffler slip on a bit farther. I used the passenger peg mounting hole by drilling out the threads and bolted right to the stock E mount. You could still use the p pegs, just get a longer bole.

Well... I wouldn't try this for a hard core dirt bike because I feel rather certain it would come loose, but on my old S, I never fixed the midmount relocation problem. I had the bike about three years after putting the E exhaust on and it never caused me any problems from not being bolted down at the midmount. My S spent most of its time on the street and with easy trail riding. The header to the head bolts, the header to the can clamp, and the end mount is all I had holding mine together. Most SMs, I think, would see similar duty.

Just drill the threads where the lower bolt of the right passenger footpeg bolts to in the aluminum subframe and it will bolts right on through that hole. All you need is a drill, a minute, a longer bolt and you're done. Make sure the bolt isn't too long or you will dent some aftermarket exhausts.