Sign in to follow this  

STARTING A BIKE, what should I do next?

2005 YZ125, bike will not kick start, and have not been able to bump start yet

- replaced the plugs (4 different times actually, so its not the plug)

- cleaned out the carb

- replaced the fuel with fresh fuel

- Checked for spark, there is spark

- removed cylinder head, piston seems OKAY

I know that it cannot be the kill switch, because if that were stuck then obviously there would not be any spark. The plug does seem wet after I take it out of the engine, so it does seem to be getting some fuel.

There are no signs of it coming even close to starting, I will kick hard with the choke on, wide open throttle and nothing.

I've also tried without choke, and with choke and no throttle. I've been trying for a day now and have had no luck. I checked the reed valve, and the reeds seem to be in good shape.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with this bike?

Well I bought it off of my brother, and he had it running before the winter. He doesn't know what it is either. But it did run, yes, although that was a few months back.

could be your float height is way off..your plug should not be wet ever..So its probably waayy rich...what color is the spark? It should be blue...

Well I got rid of the old plug, and it is wet when I hold it wide open with the choke on and kick. Its wet enough to be noticed.

So obviously the new plug still looks new when I take it out, so I can't test the color unfortunately.

I'm assuming it has compression and that when you cleaned the carb you checked that the jets are clear.

Plull the plug and kick the heck out of it. See if you get some goo blowing out of the plug hole. Maybe the crankcase has a lot of oil sitting in it.

Drain the gas and put some NEW gas in it!!!

Old gas turns into something resembling varnish, and a spark just won't fire it.

take the plug out and put a new plug in the spark plug cap and hold it against the cylinder head nut...dont touch the plug itself but hold it there by the cap or wire..kick it over and see what color the spark is..it should be blue...if it is put the new plug in it and with the choke off hold the throttle wide open and kick...it should start...a 2 smoke is simple...you need gas, spark, timing and compression...it should at least run with those 4...

2005 YZ125, bike will not kick start, and have not been able to bump start yet

- replaced the plugs (4 different times actually, so its not the plug)

- cleaned out the carb

- replaced the fuel with fresh fuel

already did that

I have this at the minute with my old IT465,it has a good spark,it fires but will not run.It fills the pipe with fuel and backfires,trying to blow the back can off !! this is on trying to bump.

Try using choke, cracking the throttle just barely, like open 2 milimeters, and kick hard. Make sure the plug is completely dry when doing this.

I've also tried without choke, and with choke and no throttle. I've been trying for a day now and have had no luck. I checked the reed valve,

Did that already, as I stated in the first post

your like spamming the posts...stop copy/pasting your previous posts..did you try what I suggested???

well the spark is blue? and I'm not trying to spam I'm just trying to indicate that I have already done and said that. And I do not really know how to check the float height?

he's not spamming anything. idk why people would tell him to do the same things he has already tried. anyway, maybe the timings off. when your checking to make sure the spark is blue try to see if its sparking at the right time.

if there is spark then the only reason left that it wont run is that its not getting fuel. have you tried cleaning/blowing out the carby with an air compressor. have you ever heard of something called aerostart? its an aerosol can with highly!!! flammable liquid used to help start difficult engines. you spray some in the air intake and kick the bike a couple of times.

Is the bike flooding? Is that why your spark plugs are wet? If so, I'm guessing the same problem I had with my CR125: the float is stuck. Try hitting the carb with a rubber mallet. If that doesn't work, take it apart again and make sure you get every little bit cleaned and dry with compressed air to make sure no goo is stuck anywhere. If anything in there looks deteriorated or damaged, replace it and I bet that works.

try a shot of starting fluid, if it fires, you have carb issues, which is my guess, probablly the pilot circuit.