Sign in to follow this  

lighting up a 2008 250xcfw

I have a halogen BD 8" headlight. I put a 100w bulb in it. It was no problem to run 100w and keep up with the battery for the starter.

Then winter came and it snowed a lot. So my bike sat for 4 months. I charged it with a car charger set to a 2 A trickle charge. Then the battery would start to die if I had to start the bike it too much.

So I got a new battery and a motorcycle trickle charger that puts out about .75A. Still I had the same result. The battery at first is good but gets drained.

I am going to go through the wiring and make sure nothing is grounding out or looks weird.

My first question is:

Is 100w too much to keep the battery charged? If so what should I do for more juice for the lights?

Also:

I have two 20w halogens I want to add to the system for more fill. How can I get enough power to run those as well?

I believe it is too much, I think you have to float the ground and go straight DC to get the 100w out of the stator.

you can beef up the flywheel, ,my buddy did that with his 450 exc.put a STEAHLY 11oz flywheel weight on, he could put 2 more 50W bulbs in it and still have enough juice to start up.

I believe it is too much, I think you have to float the ground and go straight DC to get the 100w out of the stator.

I don't know what you can get out of a 250 with a rewind, or using the existing windings. I'm sure the wattage numbers given are inflated, or unrealistic high rpms are needed to get to their claimed output.

Post or ask what other 250 riders are getting. If you contact the electrical parts suppliers, talk to their technical section and ask what wattage you can expect to pull. Do not go to sales for info. The only number they want to pull is your credit card number.