Sign in to follow this  

Quick Help!!!!!

Just bought an O ring chain! IT is all installed and adjusted.

My question is.. When I spin the rear tire it feels like there is a lot of drag.

Do these chains need to be broke in...are they really stiff at first??

Obviously this is my forst O ring chain!!!

yup they sure do...if you want max power go non o ring...if you want longevity at the cost of power go with a non o ring chain...if this is for a 450 I wouldnt worry about it...but for say a 250f I wouldnt put an o ring chain on it...

the drag you notice while spinning your wheel on the stand won't be noticable while riding. Maybe noticable when pushing your bike off the track after running out of gas. lol Don't let that scare you. I've run both types of chain on my YZ450. I choose to run a Parts Unlimited X-Ring lately because they're cheap and extremely durable.:)

keep the o-ring chain....as far as robbing power, that is an old wives tale....once warm, there is no noticeable difference..

Keep in mind, a 450 can wear out a chain and sprockets pretty quick if using a standard chain especially if not adjusted corectly.

I have a 450 and an o-ring.

I want the most power possible.

Trust me, You'll never notice the difference.

of course not...who will? bubba??? U want max power go non o ring...yes they do rob horsepower...wives tale?? my wife dont know s**t about bikes...lol...

Trust me, You'll never notice the difference.

yeah I think I agree with you. im not that hardcore about it. I dont ride track so I dont need to get 1 second faster lap time every week, im not worried about the weight of my bike. I dont re build my suspension after every ride. I only ride around with friends out in the country. I do like max HP, but I honestly dont think a chain is gonna be significant power loss/gain. probably not as much hp loss/gain as dirty A/F vs clean A/F.

Ride it a few laps, come in and put the bike on the stand, you will then find the same amount of drag as a standard chain. When cold it does drag, but when it heats up it doesn't. The horsepower theft is from the extra weight, rotating,unsprung mass is the worst place to have extra weight(1 pound unsprung weight equals 6 pounds of sprung weight). Having said that, my new bike came stock with a o ring and it will be replaced by o rings in the future, my other 450's could trash a non o ring in less than 5 races.

I was just eating chains on my 450 and when I saw this primary drive o ring for so cheap I thought! WOW... then I felt the drag and thought UH OH!!

After reading this and my other post on norcalmotocross.com I think I will be just fine!!

Thanks again everyone that posted!!!