Sign in to follow this  

1986 KX500 flooding

I have a problem with too much gas getting into the crankcase under the piston. So much i have to turn the bike upside down and drain it. any help please.

the piston is new the rings are new the carb is new and has good compression. its driving me nuts.:)

Will it even run?

If you are dumping gas into the crank, then the gas regulator (carb) isn't working right. My guess is that your 1.vent tubes are pluged or not routed right, 2.your air screw is too far open close all the way gently till it bottoms then turn it out two turns. DO NOT reaf it into its seat simply turn it in till it stops. 3. your floats are not floating far enough up to close the needle valve that controls the flow of fuel, or the needle and/or seat is damaged or dirty and cannot close to regulate the flow of fuel.

My vote goes out for #3 but I also think #1 is an issue otherwise when the bike wasn't running the gas would pee out of the vent tube, and when running unles running W.O. it will pool up in the case. be careful riding this thing till you get it figured out. I had a 200 that was like this and one day i was moving down a trail, it started to bog up, so i opened it up and it sent enough fuel/oil through to seeze the top end puting me over the bars and crunching the lower rod bearing.

Take your carb apart and clean it real good then examine every little part. make sure there are no nicks in the seats or needles no small debri. your problem is in the carb, there is no other way for fuel to get into the engine.

Kone

yes it will run.

when i first put the new carb on the bike started after 2 tries. but when i kill it and try to start it again i noticed the gas. strangely enough i have not seen the gas leak out the overflow. thanks for the info i will try it.

is it possibly an anomily left by the old carb? did you empty the cases before the new carb went on? do you turn your petcoc off after every ride? is it possible it leaked down over a couple days and you just didn't notice till it died? Does it do this every time you run it? or just that time? just trying to narrow down the possibillities...

kone

:) it does it every time i shut the bike off. i hit the kill seitch then turn the gas off. then when i go to start it again all this gas is at the bottom. I readjusted my carb and going to see what happens.