Sign in to follow this  

just finished eo 190 kit

I just finished installing the engines only 190 kit and thought I would post up some pics for anyone considering the project.

This is the perfectly good patient before surgery. 2006 with has been ridden regularly for 3 seasons.

100_0040.jpg

This is about $1500 in parts includes the 10:1 kit (cylinder, piston, cam), carburator, sprockets, and pipe (not shown).

100_0046.jpg

Tear down was pretty easy. Be careful removing chain tensioner as the spring and pin can easily drop into the case (read as spent 1/2 hour with a magnet getting them back out).

valve cover off

100_0047.jpg

cylinder off

100_0048.jpg

this is the difference in stock cylinder and piston and the eo 190

100_0049.jpg

cleaned up head and cover ready for install

100_0050.jpg

Changing the valve springs was probably the trickiest part of the operation. This is the home made valve tool used to compress the springs. It is just a cut piece of 1/2 in pipe and a large c-clamp. Worked well but was a three hand operation.

100_0051.jpg

cylinder back on. It worked nicely to start the piston into the cylinder and then insert the wrist pin.

100_0052.jpg

head and cam back on. don't forget to pull the pin out of your cam before sending it back to frank (thanks for sending it back)

100_0054.jpg

flat slide 28mm carb went on with minimal fuss. You will need to replace the fuel line as the fuel inlet is on the right of the 28 mm. Just takes 5 inches of new line and a little patience.

100_0055.jpg

100_0057.jpg

Finished product.

100_0058.jpg

This was a great little project. Took about 8 hours all tolled and I go really slow and work to keep it clean. If you haven't torn an engine down lately I would definately recommend purchasing a service manual. Just helps with the confidence you are getting it back together right, and in the easiest order. The KLX manual is $10 cheaper than the DRZ for some reason.

The bike started right up!!! Very happy. I ran it for a minute and it was immediately apparent that the stock gearing had become a joke. After installing the recommended front and rear sprockets the bike finally feels like it should. Nice bit of power and very snappy.

You guys (twowheeltom) were right about the megaphone pipe. Sounds great, and is not to loud. I ran it first with the stock pipe with out the spark arrestor as it was very loud (much louder that before).

So far I am very pleased with the kit and results. Truely a bolt on kit. Started right up and seems to be running pretty well with no fuss. I can't wait to get it out and see how the boy likes it.

Just one more pic. Thanks for the help.

100_0029.jpg

Looked like a fun little project! Love it when it turns out the way its supposed to....

Tom

That's a great post grbgman for anyone considering the EO 190 kit, very helpful.

Any chance you can post a couple of pics on the air filter set up?

Are you going to do any more mods?

Keep us posted on the ride reports. Have fun.:)

ok, yeah, after closer inspection, I was looking at the bike and Kawi in the pic, didnt pay any attention to the panoramic, awesomely awesome view...Cool Bruce, we can be room mates and you can modify all my bikes!

I would like to see the setup on the air filter also.

Here are some pics of the air filter. It is a k&n r-1100 with a pre-filter which makes is a little hard to see. You can see the inside of the stock filter in the background on the second pic as I left the box in place (it is part of the fender really) and just removed the intake boot. The k&n comes with the eo kit. Frank said he could never get it to run right with the stock system. Also read similar experiences in this forum.

100_0062.jpg

100_0063.jpg

I know it will be a problem with water, but other than an occasional stream crossing I don't think it will be to big a deal. I am more concerned about wear on the prefilter as it just touches the shock and frame, pretty tight fit really.

I am done on mods for now, spent a little more than I should have, but I am planning on frame cradle and upgrading the suspension maybe in the late summer. Seeing some of the shop fabricated frame cradles on this forum has me thinking...:)

Here is another pic from the same ride on willard peak. You can see our house in the back ground. Lots of great trails!!!

100_0030.jpg

Stop with the mountain photos your killing me . I walk out my front door and look at the Detroit sky line.

As for the air filter I'm wondering if the boot from the dr-z250 that was talked about on this forum with the pumper carb would fit up to your carb combo ?

Edit:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623062&highlight=drz250+boot

Here is all the talk on the air boot doesn't seem that it would work exactly for what you have seems the boot might be too short ? I'm sure you have probably read through all this before though.

I had read the thread, but I appreciate the reminder. Great Thread!! I would love to get the airbox working, also love the idea of having a decompression. I guess we will ride it for a bit and see how we like it. I can't imagine wanting to spend the money on a pumper when the flat slide seems to run good.

Has anybody fitted the flat slide 28 to the 250 boot? If so what did you use for the adapter at the carb?

I had read the thread, but I appreciate the reminder. Great Thread!! I would love to get the airbox working, also love the idea of having a decompression. I guess we will ride it for a bit and see how we like it. I can't imagine wanting to spend the money on a pumper when the flat slide seems to run good.

Has anybody fitted the flat slide 28 to the 250 boot? If so what did you use for the adapter at the carb?

And does it work ok???

There was talk in that thred that there was a gap bettween the standard flat slide and the boot in both diameter and length the diameter would be fixed with a spacer of some sort but that would still leave the length issue. I'm wondering if that could be fixed with the LT230 intake which is a bit longer than the 125 intake or if it might cause other trouble with moving the top of the carb too close to something else like the frame ?

IMG_8066.jpg

I'm not using a 28mm flatslide I'm using a 28mm pumer carb so I don't have the carb to try it out. but it might be an option ??