Sign in to follow this  

Building CR500:AF --- HELP ?

Im going to start building a CR500 AF soon, ive found a motor that I like, 1993 model (Identical to the last 2001 model)

Im looking at a 1999 CR250 frame, cheap and supports new forks\shock :banghead:

Anyone got any tips or suggestions on parts or how to build it. Much Appreciated, or if anyone is parting one out id be happy to sort through\buy some parts :)

Dude, go to 500riders.com or bannedcr500riders.com

The absolute most important thing in building one is GET A HIGH QUALITY WELDER to get it together for ya.

Have fun!

Thanks, what do you think looks best, i personly love the look of the '1'st Gen honda frames, 1997 - 1999 CR250. Looks sweet, anyone share my opinion ?

4cb5_1_sbl.JPG

I've got a buddy with a 2001 CR250R and a 500 motor. I'll try to get some pics up the next time he rides with us. He said he had to notch the frame by the front motor mount.......that was really the only 'work' he had to do to accommodate the 500cc smoker in there.

That bike is absolutely insane.....hopefully he'll get up our trail riding video soon when he was behind me. :)

Thanks, what do you think looks best, i personly love the look of the '1'st Gen honda frames, 1997 - 1999 CR250. Looks sweet, anyone share my opinion ?

4cb5_1_sbl.JPG

i know the first generation frame were stiff and tended to give some funny hits on jumps.

ryan hughes said of those frames you would hit something 2 or 3 times no problems but on maybe the 4 or 5 time they would act different.

of course he rode at a higher level then most of us.

good luck buddy that looks and sounds like a fun project:thumbsup:

I have a friend who had a 500 motor in a 99 frame. He said the tank didn't fit over the head, he had to heat it to "mold it" over the cylinder.

The bike vibrated like hell, I tried it and my feet went numb after 2 laps.

I'm doing mine from an 04 CRF250 and an 87 500 engine. I hear the first generation 97-99 were the easiest and almost dropped in. I like the 1st gen as I had a sweet 07 CR250 that was setup with Ohlins and such plus I think the 97 had the fastest CR250 engine made. I also have a 98 CR500 for riding every weekend. I'm on both 500 sites as CRMAXIMUS (500riders) and cryzsurfer on the banned site. As far as the 1st gen frames I always dug the billet look of the steering head on those frames as opposed to the cast on the later. Here a pic of minie and the alloy tank I'm building. Good luck grasshopper.

Craigus

DSCN1403.jpg

photoaf500.jpg

Like earthmx said, I've heard others complain of the stiffness of the Gen 1 frames; but others seem to like it so I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't know if he is still making them, but ShanMan on htt://www.bannedcr500riders.com was making kits to convert Gen 1 frames. Per the site, Gen 1 frames are the easiest to convert.

Here is the bike I was referring to.....he posts on here as well. I'll direct him to this thread to see if he can give you any advice......

Found a sweet 500AF a while back, looks mint and sound heathly as. :)

Its running in a 1st gen frame, guy that owns it has quite a few 500's.All sound awasome, seems like hes one of the only youtubers out there that actully know how to start a 500. :banghead: