Sign in to follow this  

Mixed feelings about KTM

Ok, im gonna get bad gas, but here it goes

KTM has always impressed me with styling, looks and overall actractivness(sp?) of the machines. I have very mixed feelings about their performance however. For example, i thought KTM meant kick till monday and the little saying held up when i rode with a guy on a 250 sx-f. The bike looked cool, but the suspension was very soft and the power delivery didnt have much bottom end. Today, i have now changed my views (i think). I went over to a party for my team and my coach didnt tell me that he has a KTM 250mxc (old, but in great shape). He goes to show me it and says, "hey, wanna start it up? It might not be running cuz i havent kicked it over in a while". Be a dirt bike enthusiast i said what the heck, why not right? I WAS IN AWE. He blipped the throttle about two times, gave it a swift 1 kick and it was fired right up. :banghead: I was soo surprised. This had me thinking, if i were EVER to buy a KTM, i would definately buy a 2t. Why is it that KTM has the 2t down to a science but they cant seem to nail the 4t?

Discuss :)

neversettle4lcq

ktm have definitely nailed the 4 stroke on the race ready 505 SX quad.

in the review i read of it, the engine , they said, is not a low to midrange or a mid to high range powerband.

its a wall to wall stonking powerhouse. heaps of power and torque everywhere in the rev range.

I owned three KTM's before switching back to Yamaha in 2006, they were all great bikes - very reliable overall. The PDS shock does require more tinkering compared to the other manufacturers for sure, unlike the Yamaha set it and forget it you would have to move clickers depending on conditions being ridden. The last KTM I tried was an 07 250SXF and it was very nice, guy was running Factory Connection suspension with the rear bladder and the bike seemed setup well. The new ones turn great compared to the older chassis and from the people I have talked to the 4 stroke motors are reliable in the long run.

I love my ktm 2 smoke and I am looking to pick up a street legal 4t 400 xcw in the next year !

Every 4 stroke I've had was hard to start, and the hotter they got, the harder they were to start.

KTMs are the shiz here in the woods. Only reason I don't have a 200XC-W is that I choke on the $7000 price tag. Maybe in a year or two.:)

i got an older 03 300 mxc for 1500, so i took it,

it starts one kick with choke, warm up for a few then switch it over and its fine, even when im going uphill or downhill its always 1 kick..

the 2 strokes are definitely the best bikes for all types of conditions, and they are lighter than them 4 strokes..

i love my bike even thought its an older year it still has power and handles very good imo..

and always you should do with any bike is set your springs for your weight

if you think a ktm 250f has no bottom end im guess you have not riden any of the jap 250f strokes

if you think a ktm 250f has no bottom end im guess you have not riden any of the jap 250f strokes

I own one... Don't get me wrong, i dont mean they have 0 bottom end but the bike is a freakin rocket from mid to high. It makes the bottom end seem less powerful than it is

i dont mean they have 0 bottom end but the bike is a freakin rocket from mid to high. It makes the bottom end seem less powerful than it is

thats pretty much how it works, you can have mid/top emphasis, and sacrifice some of the low or you can have low/mid and sacrifice on top. i have never heard anything bad about any of the modern KTM motors. their 450 motors are absolute monsters.

man i would say the guy has some motor issues. like needing new rings, etc. BC my sxf has alot of bottom end

This had me thinking, if i were EVER to buy a KTM, i would definately buy a 2t.

:) I second that! I went from a yz250f to a 250xc and the thing is the best bike I have ever ridden. It makes everything easy! Its a 4 stroke without the hassle.

I have almost quit riding my 450 for the 300exc I bought. I love it

Any 4 stroke can be hard to start if you dont know how to start it.

Each brand of motor has characteristics of proper starting...just sitting there kicking over and over isnt the right way.