Sign in to follow this  

125....or Not...?

Hey fellas,

I need some advice/opinions...I am 40yrs old and love to ride. I had a 250F loved it, but sold it. I tried the 450F but I just never felt at home on it. I have a chance to get a brand new 05 CR125...Whats the pros/cons on the 05 model? Am I to big for a 125..? I weigh 200lbs and I'm in pretty good shape.

I dont race, nor am I going to. I just ride the woods and a small practice track at my home. I would appreciate any advice or ideas that could help.

Thanks in advance!

I'm close to 200 and bought a 98 125 to mess around with. It's alot of fun to play on but for riding all day I prefer the ease and grunt of a 4 stroke. This is just my opinion though. If you want a 125 I'd do some researching for the best years of the different makes. Some either make more power or are more reliable and some have a 6th gear.

I really like the snap and lightweight!

thank you..how was the bike on the trails though..? did you have to revalve the suspension or mod it?

For trail riding i probably wouldn't get the CR. They bog down when u hammer on it at low RPM's. But they are very very fun and fast. And my dad's friend who is 6'2 and 220lbs rides it all the time and loves it!

125's are alot of fun to me, but for trail riding I prefer a 4t. Then I can just putt along and tractor up a hill if I want instead of having to zip around so as to not foul a plug. The syspension is set up fine for me and I bought it from a light kid.

Given your intended purpose I think a 125 would be a really poor choice. I think you'll find a 250 much better and far more enjoyable for your purposes. The 125 has such a week bottom end you need to ride them full up with a lot of clutch fanning. I'm 43 years old, 220 lbs (w/o gear), I ride a CR250 which works very well for the woods riding I do. I'm a momentum rider so I'm generally running in a higher gear trying to carry more speed at lower RPM's. The newer 250's have nice tractable power delivery, but they have the juice if you find yourself drag racing from corner to corner.

Maintenance will be less frequent on the 250 too, running lower RPM's makes the top end last longer.

Given your intended purpose I think a 125 would be a really poor choice. I think you'll find a 250 much better and far more enjoyable for your purposes. The 125 has such a week bottom end you need to ride them full up with a lot of clutch fanning. I'm 43 years old, 220 lbs (w/o gear), I ride a CR250 which works very well for the woods riding I do. I'm a momentum rider so I'm generally running in a higher gear trying to carry more speed at lower RPM's. The newer 250's have nice tractable power delivery, but they have the juice if you find yourself drag racing from corner to corner.

Maintenance will be less frequent on the 250 too, running lower RPM's makes the top end last longer.

Thank you sir...I see the point that you made, I will stick to a 250. I thought it would be the better choice, but was not sure.

Thanks for the help.

im 45 and I bought an 06 cr 125 last year and I love it. I ride trails and mx and its perfect for me. I weigh 180 and after I got it jetted right it runs great.

41 here, bought a 06 CR125 and a 06 CRF250X in January of 08. I use the 125 for Harescrambles, I love how light it is, how nimble it feels. Yes, you have to learn to work the clutch for climbs and such, but you are going to be a better rider for it.

If I had to only have one bike, between those two bikes, it'd be a tuff choice. I like the electric start of the X, but the R is just so darned light and handles so much better. I have 29 hours on my 125 and 28 hours on my 250, so I guess I enjoy them about equal

I ride my rm125 on the trails all the time. It does take some good clutch work and throttle control, but the flickability is worth. The 125 also makes you become a better rider and work harder for better lap times on a track. If you get one, you cannot be a lazy rider on it. I say give a 125 2t a shot and if you don't like, sell it.

The 05 models and up are the best u can buy. In 05 it got a heavily reworked motor and 06 and 07 were carry over models.