Sign in to follow this  

Are the CRF50/70's built in China?

The only reason I ask is because I was looking at the dealership when I went to pick up my 09 CRF450 that finally showed up, and when looked at closely the CRF70 looke suspiciously similar to the 70CC Chinese bikes sold at Walmart.

My biggest shock (pun intended...) was that the forks looked almost exactly the same at the $700 bike I looked at at both Canadian Tire and Walmart, and the rest of the bike looks very close too. The thing is the CRF70 costs $2100 here, has drum brakes front and rear, vs disks on the Chinese bikes, as well as the fact that the Chinese bikes had 4 speed auto trans vs the 3 speed in the CRF.

So are these bikes build in China? I'm sure htey are nice bikes, but I know a lot of those Chinese 70's that neighbor kids had were clapped out after a couple summers of hard riding, and I'm scared of the CRF given that the hardware looks to be not much different.

So what is the reliability like on these bikes? I hope I'm wrong, as I've always been a Honda guy, but man, it sure looked suspicious.:)

China bikes are copies of Hondas .... Look's can be deceiving . :banghead:

The quality of the hardware is much better than china stuff 10 fold !!!!

You have already seen the outcome of those kids bikes . :)

Honda's are way more reliable ..., that's why you pay more . :banghead:

My son went through one of those chinese bikes last summer in less than 2 months. He broke the shock, muffler, engine mount, and the cases. The crf70 he got for christmas is actually a 2005 that has been through 2 other kids first. He jumps it daily and rides it just as hard as I do.

The reason the Chinese bikes look the same is because they are copies. Knock-offs really. They are pretty much junk. The metal is soft and bends easily. Many parts are too thin and bend, snap, dent way too easily. The Honda is the original. There are still Z50's from 1969 running on original motors. The motors today are amazingly similar to those first 50cc motors and will last just as long if not longer. The Chinese stuff, well, they are like disposable cameras.