Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal 1998 rm 250 electrical help....

I recently purchased a registered, ca street legal '98 rm250. The guy I bought it from gave me a new stator wiring harness and lights to be added to the bike so I can hit the streets. I am having a problem with the stator install. The high output stator is a Moose unit and appears as though it is correct for the bike, harnesses look good and part number matches up. So, I put it on the bike, easy enough right. Now the bike has no spark. The bike ran fine before I decided to upgrade the stator and install some lights. I emailed Moose and all that they say is to check the source coil (stator) and see if its within being plus or minus 10 of 45 ohms. They weren't really much help. Does this mean that I check the lighting output wire (yellow and part of the stator harness)or a wire that is part of one of the two plug ins that are the other part of the stator harness. Is there anything else that could cause it to be getting no spark now? Help! I don't know where to go from here....

they are wanting you to check the coil that feeds the spark; look at the old stator, probly only one coil on stator ring, that would be the one for the spark; now line up old stator to the new stator and the same place on new should be spark coil check it the others on new stator will be lighting coils

i have an 03 street legal and i went through 3 moose lighting stators in 5 hours of riding..........each time left me stranded on the side of the road with no spark. screw moose/elecrex/electrosport (they are all three the same company with the same tech phone#) since yours is a 98 i say get a stock rmx stator.......just trust me on this

Will it fit? I want to do the same thing to my 98 for lights.

yeah it will fit, i wanted to do it on mine because i was sick of cheap stators, and wanted oem quality, that's how i learned it fits through '98 rm250's........and possibly through '01 but that one was un-substantiated

yeah it will fit, i wanted to do it on mine because i was sick of cheap stators, and wanted oem quality, that's how i learned it fits through '98 rm250's........and possibly through '01 but that one was un-substantiated

:banghead: :banghead:

Now what year RMX stators will fit, and how many watts do they make? thanks :)

:banghead::foul:

Now what year RMX stators will fit, and how many watts do they make? thanks :)

from what i found, its a safe bet to have a 96 or newer that it will fit. some say that they make a whole whopping 20watts, while others claim it makes around 35w :banghead:..........keep in mind guys i have not yet tested these theories out, this is all stuff i have deduced by searching tt, calling the electrosport/moose tech line, looking at the microfiche, and comparing pat #'s to their applications of stators in catalogs

that can't be right, 90w is a lot of power for how small the stator is :) when all of the aftermarket ones for the rm250 are 20w, 35w,50w........nowhere near even 75w, but if that is correct, that's all the more reason to use oem

I run a 55w halogen headlight without a problem, so the stock unit has to be putting out more than that.

I run a 55w halogen headlight without a problem, so the stock unit has to be putting out more than that.

i ran dual 50w bulbs in my ufo dual twins on a 35w stator.........it also seemed to be putting out enough, until i pulled it off and put it on my dr-z (that has a ytx7l-bs battery, and a 200w stator) and the difference was amazing

Dunno what to say. Mine is pretty bright - about as bright as the street bike's headlights - and hurts my eyes to look into it.

Dunno what to say. Mine is pretty bright - about as bright as the street bike's headlights - and hurts my eyes to look into it.

i really have no clue what the actual output on an rm-x stator is, mine was an aftermarket stator for an 06 rm250 my guess is that they are different :) and the oem rm-x stator is waaaaaaay better

guys is there aftermarket lights run on batteries, as i need my bike to have a head, tail and brake combo but it only needs to work to be licensed..im not worried about the brightness of the lights at all

bike is a sweet 06rm250, fww, pipe, bashplates etc i have set it up just right and dont want to update for a true enduro bike as i like this one...thanks rob

I have done tons of work to my rm 250 to get it to have the entire street legal light setup. I ordered the electrex stator w/ lighting coil. Didn't work out of the box. F it. Decided to stay with the oem rm250 stator. It only put out enough power to run one 20 watt bulb and thats on AC power. The other 20 watt bulb, led turn signals, horn, and brake light etc are run off a small DC battery in the air box. This was the best setup for me, and is the most reliable and visible. I made my own wiring harness as well, and bought the turn signal switch from Baja Designs.