Sign in to follow this  

KLX 250s questions~

Hey guys

fantastic site, i picked up my 2008 klx250s this week, its done 1200kms! totally stock..

firstly, are there any restrictions i can remove to open up some more power?

and in regards to spending money for power, what should be my first modification??

in regards to regular maintenance, what are the recommended service intervals.. its 80% road use, 20% off road at this stage.. it just had its 1,000km service.. should i do the next at 2000?

and how often do i need to lube the chain??

i am new at motox , but im totally in love with the bike!!

also, is it safe to wash it with a high pressure hose??

thanks again guys :)

If you free up the air flow to the bike, you will need to rejet, so I believe your best, "first" mod is to get a jet kit for the bike so you have it as you make the rest of the changes below.

When you do install the jet kit you'll have to modify your slide. You aussies have to fill in a couple holes on your slide, where we yanks have to drill a hole in ours to make it a bit larger

These are the mods that most people do to their KLX.

There is a hose that injects extra air into the exhaust as part of the emissions equipment (dunno if the aussie model has it) Remove it if you have it and cap off the connectors (one on the carb, one on the air box, and one on the cylinder on the exhaust side.) with vacuum caps

Remove the backfire screen in the air box

Replace the stocker air filter with a twin air or UNI

Replace that snorkle on the air box lid with a snorkle from the KDX 200 or 220 (year 1998-2003 KDX Snorkles are a drop in replacement)

a 13tooth countershaft sprocket does wonders for a lot of people.

re-route your crank case breather tube using Y connectors and route the "extra" connection up into your air box. That prevents the engine from sucking in water if you go through deep water

If you've done all that, it's time for a header and slip-on

StainTune makes a nice exhaust, muzzy seems to be popular, as well as Two Brothers.

thanks for that mate,

is there somewhere i can find a "how to" on all these modifications?

also, any help in regards to my questions regarding servicing and also chain maintenance , as i was told by some dudes that chains need to be lubed after every ride or something...??

There are a couple good sites specifically for the KLX, and many how-to's.

There's PlanetKLX and the KLX250S Section of the kawasakiforums. Many of us KLX'ers here are members there as well. There are quite a few Aussies over at the kawasaki forums too, so you're liable to run into someone you know or live near.

http://www.planetklx.org/

http://kawasakiforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

also, any help in regards to my questions regarding servicing and also chain maintenance , as i was told by some dudes that chains need to be lubed after every ride or something...??

If your chain is an "O-Ring" style, it has lubrication sealed into the links. But, the outside of the chain should still be serviced to remove dirt or other crud that gets loaded up on it and some sort of rust prevention should be used.

On you other question about using a pressure washer, it's not recommended.

Ride on

Brewster

Is it an 07 or an 09? There was no 08. :)

www.kawasakiforums.com

It's called a '08' in Japan and I think all over Asia and Europe.

In fact, I'd venture to guess it's an '08' everywhere else but the US fo A, with possibly Canada and Mexico being the exception.

This guy is from Australia..it's really hard to get a bead on those folks from 'down under' :-)

it is an 08, im from australia..

so does mine have an o-ring chain?

Can't see it from here so you may have to check the owners manual.

Ride on

Brewster

how does it handle on the road compared to a supermoto like the klx250sf? ive read that the stock tires on it handle pretty well on the road and dont squirm too much

how does it handle on the road compared to a supermoto like the klx250sf? ive read that the stock tires on it handle pretty well on the road and dont squirm too much

Stock tires are OK....they just dont last squat though. My stock tires were 75% done after only 1500 miles.