Sign in to follow this  

Just got a 2009 SM and thought I would introduce myself

Hello all. I am new to this site, sort of. I have been browsing it for some time when I needed info about my DR. I have sold the DR and purchased an 09 DRZ 400SM and thought I should be more social. I had done about every mod available for the DR and I love those bikes, but I found that it was hard to get to the wilderness to ride so I opted for the SM instead. My '97 DR350se was faster (after the pumper and the Q2 anyway), but the SM has definite potential. I can already tell the CV carb and stock pipe will have to go. I live near a very Canyon riddled industrial area in San Diego and on the weekend there is not a soul/cop around. Only 150 miles on it so far, but those 150 miles have been a blast. I am curious if anyone here has an opinion about the DRZ400SM Complete Supermoto-Style Appearance Kit suzuki makes. I appologize if this has been discussed, I searched and found no threads, but I am sure someone will point me in the right direction if it has. I wish I could just get the side panels, but they only sell the front cowl by itself. if you want any of the rear plastics you got to buy the whole kit ($675 from Suzuki, ouch!). It is for sale on ebay right now for $495 if anyone is interested. Just thought I would get some feedback.

I like the looks of the kit but it's a little too pricey for me. If I was going to drop that kind of money I would get a FCR from TT, and then an aftermarket exhaust. But, if my money-tree was still blooming, I'd have it all! :)

Welcome to the best site on the internet for DRZers. :banghead:

Welcome aboard crobi. I also just came off an uncorked DR350. Get that DRZ uncorked. It will be faster.

Welcome! The kit looks great but if it were me, I would buy a FCR carb instead. If money's not a problem... buy both!

"DRZ400SM Complete Supermoto-Style Appearance Kit suzuki makes."

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What is this i have never heard of it what am i missing?

Welcome aboard! Plan on spending a ton of money because it's just plain addicting! I myself don't really like the kit that suzuki offers. Just looks too funky in my opinion. Take a look in peoples garages for ideas on how to make the bike more "yours". I am going to be taking some updated pics of mine soon.

Welcome crobi!

"DRZ400SM Complete Supermoto-Style Appearance Kit suzuki makes."

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What is this i have never heard of it what am i missing?

It's an expensive kit that includes a shortened mudguard/integrated headlight unit and cut fenders and rear mudguard: 990A0-35000-BLK.jpg

990A0-35001-BLK.jpg

This kit retails for about $695 from Suzuki. On eBay there's a seller that has the kit for $496. I'd say you can do a similar job for less by either cutting your own plastic and/or getting plastic kits like Acerbis :)

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the FCR would be a much better use of financial resources. My first step was to order the edge kit and blinker and the rear peg eliminator bracket. Should have that all here by next week. i already put the peg eliminator bracket on, looks sharp but was not as easy to install as I thought it would be.

The right peg is also an exhaust bracket, so you have to bracket the exhaust when you remove the right side peg. I noticed that the MCCT here on the TT store says "Fits: 00-08". I am assuming the description was made in 08 and has not been updated. This should also fit the 09 I am assuming.

The right peg is also an exhaust bracket, so you have to bracket the exhaust when you remove the right side peg. I noticed that the MCCT here on the TT store says "Fits: 00-08". I am assuming the description was made in 08 and has not been updated. This should also fit the 09 I am assuming.

What he said, lol. I have a peg eliminator on my bike but you can't see it because of the carbon frame guards. The MCCT does in fact fit the 2009 model as well. Guess they just haven't gotten around to updating it yet which is pretty normal for motorcycle parts.