Sign in to follow this  

dr 250 help needed please

hello,

just a quick word first to say i know very little about bikes so bear with me please !

i have a 1999-2000 dr 250 for off road , the electric start wont work and ive been told by the person i bought it off that it was the solenoid that needed changing , so now i want to get it changed but befor i do this i need to take it off but i dont know where it is , so can someone help me find where it is , thanks in advance

I would look at the microfiche online, bikebandit.com is an easy site to navigate (http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-parts/oem-parts). Select your year and model, then look at the electrical diagrams. I image what you are looking for is the starter switch. I would probably do a little digging before buying any parts, just because the previous owner said it was the "solenoid", doesn't mean he knew what he was talking about. There are several things that can cause a bike to not start. I would start with the battery and go from there.

thanks for the reply ,

the bike starts fine if you kick it so that would mean the battery is ok ? just nothing happens when you press the electric start

The street models still have a magneto, so you could still kick start the engine with a dead battery. The battery is really only used for the starter motor. Just food for thought.

I will add that my guess is the previous owner was probably right. I guess to check for the problem I would make sure you have juice in the battery. Then make sure your ignition is working (does your light, gauges, horn work when the key is in the on position and the bike is not running?) If yes to both then your issue is with the starter somewhere. He was probably refering to the starter relay assembly. Follow the wires coming from the starter motor. They should be directly connected to the starter relay.

the bike has been striped down for off road use ,there is no key to use for it now you just press to on off button and kick it and it starts .should they be a voltage at the battery when its not running because there isnt but there is one when the bike is running dont know if that makes a difference

think of you magneto as an altenater on a car. WHen the car is running the power systems feed from the altenater. Some on you bike the magneto will send a charge to your battery so it doesn't go dead have the battery check. If it's fine make sure your starter switch is making contact when you push it. My starter switch was bad when I bought mine.

He removed the ignition? Did he remove the gauges as well? There is also the posibility that when he removed the ignition he didn't wire it up correctly.