Sign in to follow this  

Muffler packing life

Hi , how often are u guys changing your muffler packing, and is it worth using the oem packing which i assume is the preformed roll u just slip in versus the aftermarket mat that you have to roll / wrap around the inner pipe . Also besides the noise level increase what performance symptoms would be noticed from old / oily packing.I have 32 hrs on my 08 yz250.

Thanks

FMF say it lasts 15-20 hrs. I love the sound of a freshly packed 2t so I do it every 15 hrs. If you run rich do it more often. If you get water in the exhaust while washing , then replace it as the water destroys the packing quickly. The FMF packing is ALOT cheaper here than the stock packing hence why I use it. It only takes me 10 min to repack a powercore 2 , its just a messy process (use surgical gloves , the oil stains are hard to remove!)

If you're at 32 hrs , repack the exhaust. You will be surprised at how bad it can look in a short period of time esp if you're running slightly rich. Also use a exhaust plug while washing.

Get a big roll of fiberglass insulation. You will have several years worth of packing for the cost of a couple aftermarket packing kits. If you know a contractor your can get scraps for free. It sounds crazy, but it absolutely works.

Try and wrap the packing in three or four separate areas with masking tape. Not too tight but tight enough with nothing bulging out. The key here is to have somewhat equal pressure between all the wraps such that the packing is consistently tight. No, don't tape the whole thing 'cause then it won't flow right.

Just got one and saves time, just slip it in after taking apart, lots cheaper than oem and less likely to come apart than just fiberglass you cut and wrap.

Offer consistent packing density. Cut installation time in half. 25% lighter than stock packing. Last 5-10 times longer than glass packing. Outer casing made from high-temperature fabric that remains intact for removal of used part. Made in U.S.A.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/12218?WT.mc_id=666113

Good luck.

Techmc