Sign in to follow this  

Handlebar width

I do a lot of tight slow speed trail riding and cut my bars down to 28" wide. Are any of you guys running your bars this narrow? This is the second time I trimmed them down and I hope I didn't go too far.

Here's a picture of the bike. I had to modify my hand guards to fit because of less room on the bars.

bikepics3-7-09002.jpg

That is pretty narrow. Long as you don't have to fight too many roots, rocks, and other deflection stuff I guess it'd be alright. I cut mine down to 775mm, about 30.5" I believe, 1/2" off each end, pretty much standard width for a woods bar. I bump a hand guard on a tree once in a while on the single track, but no problems yet. Still leaves me enough leverage to deal with the afore mentioned roots, rocks, ledges, etc..

P.S... Pretty KX by the way.:)

i forget what mine are at. im pretty sure i cut 1 1/4" off each side, so i guess im around 29.5 i could get by being shorter, but im running out of room on my bars for mounts as is.

User pdx_munkel (riding buddy of mine) runs his pretty damn short. Maybe get in touch with him to see how he likes them. I can't believe how low and downswept you have those bars. Is it comfortable riding like that?

i forget what mine are at. im pretty sure i cut 1 1/4" off each side, so i guess im around 29.5 i could get by being shorter, but im running out of room on my bars for mounts as is.

most Mx bars come in 31.5 length, if you cut 1 1/4" each side, you are at 29".

i used to always cut mine to 29.5", when i got my crf250 i decided to cut them down to 30.5 to see how i would like it. i figure i could always cut them down more. i loved the extra length, its easier to hand on to for longer. and i don't notice it any more difficult to get between the tight stuff.

Mine are pretty close to that in width. I cut them down after riding with my friend's bike who's used to his BMX bike because it was more comfortable to him.

I love it in the woods, haven't noticed any negative effect at all for deflections or anything, even over the gnarlier stuff. Berms are at least as comfortable, and there was no more head shake at high speeds that I could feel. Riding at Sand Lake was fine as well. Haven't ridden the track since cutting them down, but I'm not worried. It just feels better to me.

After some trial and error, I've settled on 29 3/4" for both my bikes. I've tried them wider and narrower, but that seems to be my most natural and comfortable width. Of course, this is one of those individual preference mods. If you're comfortable with yours at 28", ride 'em! :)

Yea, the bars are like that because I had a friend over to help me drag it out of my basement and had to just bolt them down quick. I went through the bike over the winter. Today I got them to where I want them. The bars are 28.5 and about 30" with hand guards. Still waiting to try the bike out soon.

Yea, the bars are like that because I had a friend over to help me drag it out of my basement and had to just bolt them down quick. I went through the bike over the winter. Today I got them to where I want them. The bars are 28.5 and about 30" with hand guards. Still waiting to try the bike out soon.

You did a stellar job. It looks great! :)

What year is it?

I run anywhere from 28.8 to 29.5" on my modern bikes. I run Moose Flex Series Mini bars ( 29.5") on my bikes that need fat bars and Renthal YZ80 bars (28.8") on bikes that use 7/8s bars. Both have plenty of room for controls and you do not need to cut them further. Also measure your bar width without barkbusters so you get an accurate measure of your bars not overall width.

Most could use narrower bars than they currently use. Get down and do 20 pushups. Have someone measure from outside of your palms and that is your best shoulder strength width. Most find that that is narrower than you think. Much more than that and you may gain bar leverage but you are losing shoulder strength and will actually fight the bike more in tight woods.

Dwight

I run anywhere from 28.8 to 29.5" on my modern bikes. I run Moose Flex Series Mini bars ( 29.5") on my bikes that need fat bars and Renthal YZ80 bars (28.8") on bikes that use 7/8s bars. Both have plenty of room for controls and you do not need to cut them further. Also measure your bar width without barkbusters so you get an accurate measure of your bars not overall width.

Most could use narrower bars than they currently use. Get down and do 20 pushups. Have someone measure from outside of your palms and that is your best shoulder strength width. Most find that that is narrower than you think. Much more than that and you may gain bar leverage but you are losing shoulder strength and will actually fight the bike more in tight woods.

Dwight

That makes perfect sense! Thanks Dwight - you da man! :)

Width is O.K. but I think your hands and wrists will be disappointed in the downturn of the grips. Better fit for dragsters and roadracers. Rotate the bars forward a bit, so the grips are level, and see if your comfort and control improves.