Sign in to follow this  

help with 04 rm250

i posted this in the intake/jetting section but i wasnt getting much help there...

i replaced the piston in my bike, along with the silencer packing, a couple weeks ago. the first time i took it out i was taking it easy for a while to break it back in, but when i finally started to get on it, i noticed a lack of power...got back to camp and pulled the plug and found it was running lean, the plug was grey.

my first thought was that i needed to rejet, that it was from when i replaced the silencer packing. could that be the cause?

but i was also told that it could be due to the powervalve, which i may very well have put it back together wrong, but would that cause the lean condition?

any ideas?

I'm no expert but it seems like the change in head space with the powervalve working incorrectly could cause the bike to run lean.

Sounds like an airleak with the bike running spray some starting fluid around the base gasket and intake if your bike revs up then you have an airleak...

i hate when you miss little stuff.

was just about to tear the bike back down today when i noticed the airboot on the carb wasnt on all the way. i fixed it and it seemed to help alot, but its still a little lean IMO, the plug was a dark grey and dry, im thinking im just gonna mess with the needle clip to richen it up a tad and hope that fixes it...

You rebuilt the topend, re-did the packing, and it went lean? I doubt it!! Lean plug colour is light brown to white. Not grey. Grey plug, and lack of power tells me you may have an internal coolant leak.