Sign in to follow this  

What do you think is causing this?

I went out to start my 07 450 last nite, (recently checked valve clearance,ok) after about 6-8 kicks she fired right up, i notice after slowly reving she began to back fire & course flames out the header,,,it also seems she heated up faster & hotter than ive noticed before...what say you?

I say you are a little lean on the fuel screw. I would richen her up a bit and if that did not work I would check and make sure that your hot start is functioning properly. Have you had a big change in temp and humidity since the last time you rode? If it has been a while since you last rode I would also pull the pilot jet and makes sure that it is not clogged.

Dan

Thanx, Dan

Hot start would be the most likely culprit,,,temp hasnt changed much besides i was in my garage,,,actually it does it when i let off gas,,,i only let id run for less than 2 min. but my motor was very hot...appreciate your response, i feel somewhat better beleiving it may be something simple..

+1. I'd put my cock on a block that it's a jetting issue. Sounds very lean to me, esp. since you mentioned the quick heating up and backfiring.

I guess than could mean the jet is clogged, as its been sitting for 3 weeks w/o cranking...Still nothing serious,,,appreciate the input.

Wabbit,

do you live in South Africa?

If it's been awhile since the carb was cleaned it may be time. My newly acquired 02 had a rough idle with backfiring on decel that would not completely go away after adjusting the fuel screw. I took the carb off to clean it the other day and, it didn't appear to be very dirty but after cleaning the carb it runs smooth as silk, no backfiring and much cooler. I have seen much dirtier carbs run much better than this one did. Apparently it doesn't take much sediment to effect performance.

its never been cleaned as i know, i bought it used but before last nite it was runnig as good as its suppose to.maybe a filter is on order..i need to get on it this week , i hope to roll aound the track 21st...

Take the header off and look at the crush washer it could be the cause if the bike as been ridden enough. I had this problem with mine before replacing the $5 part. and as they said clean the carb out.

my 2 cents:ride:

clogged jet is possibility, last ride i used someone elses gas can.

+1. I'd put my cock on a block that it's a jetting issue. Sounds very lean to me, esp. since you mentioned the quick heating up and backfiring.

+2 on the jetting not the cock on the block thing though.........

I'm never that certain on ANYTHING

:)