Sign in to follow this  

09 Crf 450 Tranny Problems- Recall?

About two months ago I posted to try and get the right flywheel puller for an 09 450 and turns out there the same as an X model 450. Anyway it was in my shop for a fourth and fifth gear problem. Pulled the motor, split the cases and found a chipped shift drum, bent shift fork and all but destroyed third, fourth and fifth gear. (have pictures if anyone is interested) All the parts were available, repairs made and the thing worked better than new. Suddenly another guy from the track I get a lot of work from started complaining of the same problem, as well as a few fellow thumpertalk members contacting me about why I was splitting cases on such a new bike. After explaining, seems they have the same problem with there 09's. Well three or so months down the road, and about another 30-40 hours on the one I fixed, he seems to think that problem may be slowly reoccuring. Im hoping this isnt another decomp pin situation with the trannys now. Just wanted to get an idea from all of those on here that have 09's or maybe have heard of these same problems, or maybe know if there is a Honda bulletin or recall notice for these things. Any and all insight or opinions would be great.

I PM'd you initially, to find out what your the tranny probs were from the bikes in your shop. I too had the chipped gear shift drum etc....

A recall would be nice, I spent $500 on transmission parts and engine gaskets.

Ya, if you look at all the damgaged trannies, all the damaged pieces look exactly the same—go figure. I still love my Honda, but I wouldn't mind seeing a recall on this one; especially because it was an issue with the 08's too.

Obviously I had the chipped gear drum, a ruined shift shaft and 3rd through 5th gears on both shafts were toast. Not to mention I replaced all the circlips, a couple bearings and the washers on both the shafts. Then tack on the price of gaskets, a piston circlip, time, fluids, and money. Geez, in all reality it was even more expensive than $500. I can't imagine what you'd have to pay a shop to fix that.

Yes I had an issue, did I ever say it warranted a recall? Did I ever say it represented all 09's. I think you're a bit too defensive. However, I'm not the only one with the issue, nor the same exact issue. Is it impossible to believe that it could be recalled? No. I'll save my recepits. Honda has had more than one recall on their 250F over the past couple of years. Search this forum, you'll find countless instances of this exact problem occuring with 08 models. The same has occurred on numerous (not all) 09's. Regardless, I would never wish this disaster upon anyone and I could care less if it's recalled, the money has already been spent. It's not the first time I've ever had to split the cases on the motor, nor will it be the last—stuff happens.

Thanks for chiming in though, your input, as invaluable as it is—makes for a good read. Kudos to you chief, enjoy the rest of your day.

Yes I had an issue, did I ever say it warranted a recall? Did I ever say it represented all 09's. I think you're a bit too defensive. However, I'm not the only one with the issue, nor the same exact issue. Is it impossible to believe that it could be recalled? No. I'll save my recepits. Honda has had more than one recall on their 250F over the past couple of years. Search this forum, you'll find countless instances of this exact problem occuring with 08 models. The same has occurred on numerous (not all) 09's. Regardless, I would never wish this disaster upon anyone and I could care less if it's recalled, the money has already been spent. It's not the first time I've ever had to split the cases on the motor, nor will it be the last—stuff happens.

Thanks for chiming in though, your input, as invaluable as it is—makes for a good read. Kudos to you chief, enjoy the rest of your day.

Lol, nice reply back!

Lol, nice reply back!

Hey you know, some people take life way too seriously. I took my tranny problem in stride. I was actually out riding one day when it all went down. I'd lost fifth gear and I said what the heck, I'll finish the rest of my day with 4gears. I mean, the damage was done, what else could I really hurt? In retrospect, I could have done more damage, or seized up the bike and injured myself, but you know how it is sometimes. So anyway, I rode another 40 miles on the bike and didn't think anything of it.

Granted, it took time to get parts, pull the motor, and split the cases, but I learned alot about the new motor & the EFI system. I lost roughly 3 weeks of riding and one race, (mainly due to part availability) but it's no big deal. Do I think it would be cool to get my money back? Yea, ofcourse. Am I a loyal Honda owner who doesn't care otherwise? Yes. Do I regret my purchase? No way!

In the end, I just wanted to contribute to CRF197's thread. He helped me out along the way by identifying what puller I would need and also pinpointed the issues he had found in another 09 CRF.

Coincidentally, those were the same exact problems I found inside my CRF. Coincidentally, the wear on his gears, gearshift drum, and shifting fork were the same as mine. Coincidentally, Kyle Summers had the same issue with his 09 while leading a WORCS race. Coincidentally, numerous people have had this issue with 08 CRF's. Coincidentally... well, you get the point.

So who cares? This issue hasn't phased me a bit. If I had to do it over again, knowing my tranny would take a dive, I'd still buy the 09 Honda. The joke's, on the joke—mikesskyranch.

i just dont believe because you have a problem that you should throw out "recall". thousands of other have not had your problem. when you throw out recall you are acting irresponsible.

Why not just share you problem with everybody and wait to see if others are having the same. dont immediately scream recall. the thead topic does say "recall". that is misleading and not responsible.

this is my opinion.

i just dont believe because you have a problem that you should throw out "recall". thousands of other have not had your problem. when you throw out recall you are acting irresponsible.

Why not just share you problem with everybody and wait to see if others are having the same. dont immediately scream recall.

this is my opinion.

I said a recall "would be nice." That is, if this issue had any merit. If it turns out to be a problem, there's no doubt in my mind they'll make good on it, much like the decompression pin issue, which I just recieved my "product update" for. It's kind of funny, my bike is being recalled for it, yet I haven't had any issues with it. Does that mean that the problem does not exist? According to your train of thought, the decompression pin & weight are a non-issue.

Good of you to twist my words and attempt to perceive my thoughts, via an internet forum. You pulled the information out that you wanted to hear and tried to make light of something that ceased to exist. Seriously, you're like a bad beat writer, go troll somewhere else—move along.

I said a recall "would be nice." That is, if this issue had any merit. If it turns out to be a problem, there's no doubt in my mind they'll make good on it, much like the decompression pin issue, which I just recieved my "product update" for. It's kind of funny, my bike is being recalled for it, yet I haven't had any issues with it. Does that mean that the problem does not exist? According to your train of thought, the decompression pin & weight are a non-issue.

Good of you to twist my words and attempt to perceive my thoughts, via an internet forum. You pulled the information out that you wanted to hear and tried to make light of something that ceased to exist. Seriously, you're like a bad beat writer, go troll somewhere else—move along.

no problem, i am gald you are sharing you problems with every body.

good luck with your bike. nothing personal, just be careful in how express your problem, you are the minority.

sorry to offend you.

no problem, i am gald you are sharing you problems with every body.

good luck with your bike. nothing personal, just be careful in how express your problem, you are the minority.

sorry to offend you.

Excellent, then we agree to disagree. Either way, I am confident that we do have something in common; we'll both have fun riding our 09's.

I read most topics about the 09 Honda's and although being a Honda rider since 1993 i am getting second thoughts about my already ordered 09CRF450.

I got the impression there are more issues with the 09's than previous years.

Over here my dealer had a few cracked pistons, according to him because of lean fuel condition out of the crate.

He didn't have a compression pin recall bulletin and said to me upfront that no issues whatsoever will be warranted.

I am thinking about canceling my order because i have to pay a lot for the 09 and i don't want to pay for big repair costs immediatly after purchase.

I also do not like the potential clutch issue because i use it pretty much on my 08, without trouble though except new clutch plates every 15-20 hours or so.

@ Blindside and others, thanks for posting your expieriences.

Now i know about them i am going to ask my dealer about it and if he denies any problems with the new CRF's it shouldn't be a problem for him to give me a warranty on those issues.

What do you think about this approach, is this reasonable?

no warranty on dirt bikes, except for official recalls.

you puts yer money down, and you takes yer chances. let em roll, big boy.

haha, so seemingly cordial. like pinching off a stiff turd that you've been making while dehydrated.

also very political, as in bedfellows LOL

We had trouble here in Australia too with a couple of guys doing trannys on 08 crf 450's with my own son not having a problem, these were high hours (60) before they let go a recuring problem........yes they were also the same problem with the selector drum.

I wish Honda would stand behind their products much more than they do. In order to get any support a campaign has to occur with X amount of the same cases. I think they train those phone reps to just say no as part of their job description. Everyone has different riding techniques and abilities, but Honda should give this tranny another close look and design a tranny that can last. I would be interested to know if the damage you are seeing is from the gear teeth or the dogs on the back of the gears? I had an 08 with this problem and now have the 09. So far so good with the 09, but I have changed my riding technique and my frequency of tranny oil changes. I use the clutch much more when shifting and oil change every 3rd ride. I understand the bike is named after this tranny CR (close ratio), but that doesn't mean it can't get better. I think these posts can get riders aware of issues to watch out for.

Can I ask a question here?

So on my 09, I occasionally get the dreaded false neutral at times. I tend to shift a lot (I'm a big short shifter). It's really annoying when you are hard on teh gas and you hit this neutral and have to "reshift". This usually only occurs a few times in a day of riding, but again, very noticeable and annoying. BTW: this isn't the neutral between 1st and 2nd gear.

Is this similar to what this thread is referring to?