Sign in to follow this  

RMZ side panels on an XR?

Heys guys I am in the process of reinventing my 92 xr600 and was browsing some pics and came across this guys bike which I kind of liked. He states that these are RMZ side panels and I was just wondering if anyone here has tried this yet. I think it looks pretty trick but I cant get ahold of this guy to find out how hard this was to get to work. I have also been trying to figure out what front fender he is running ,the rear I know is a CRF fender but the the front looks like maybe a supermoto fender of some sort. Maybe someone here has done this or seen this done and can give me some input. Anybody with any trick pics of there xr's post em up need some good ideas.

I cant post attachment yet so here is the link

http://www.4strokes.com/guests/uploadpics/95_XR600R.jpg

Well I dont know whats up with that I was able to view all there pics over there without even logging in I even tried the link and it worked yesterday but I see your right it keeps asking for my password just to view the pics. Illtry and get some pics on here somehow.

For the lazy ppl (me)

95_XR600R2.jpg

Hey thanks for putting up the pics and the info

Anyone done the rmz panels on the xr's just curious how hard they were to fit before I buy a set.

Is it confirmed that RMZ side panels will fit xrs? If so what year RMZ sidepanel?

I'm assuming that if these would also fit xr650L with some tweaking/heatgunning.

-Scott

bump x2.

I guess the bigger question is do these side panels bolt up to our airboxes? I It looks like the orange bike is running some kind of pod filter.

I have no idea how much cutting is necessary and have been torn ordering a set since i am happy with my plastics at the moment.

I found those pics randomly on the internet there are at least 4 different XR's that I have seen pictures of with these same panels.

I doubt they are a direct bolt on and no way is that left side going to cover up the airbox. Look at the position on the frame that it is over. The panels are too far backwards.

I think the orange bike has a K&N over the stock boot with the airbox removed.

My panels are toast. OEM is rediculously expensive. Aftermarket is non existant. It seems like the only option is to retrofit the current designs.

I'd like to avoid trial and error (really, it's the error I'd like to avoid.) So I'm keen to hear more on what's been attempted already.

-Scott

I have no idea how much cutting is necessary and have been torn ordering a set since i am happy with my plastics at the moment.

I found those pics randomly on the internet there are at least 4 different XR's that I have seen pictures of with these same panels.

I doubt they are a direct bolt on and no way is that left side going to cover up the airbox. Look at the position on the frame that it is over. The panels are too far backwards.

I think the orange bike has a K&N over the stock boot with the airbox removed.

I've seen acerbis sidepanels for $40 or $50, try places like cycle gear, dennis kirk, TT store.

I like the RMZ panels better but you'll need to make a cover for the left side of the box. Why not cut out the section that seals the box on the left, paint it low-gloss black, and just make a small lid over it?

I am sure it isnt that hard to do the RMZ if there are a few bikes with pictures floating around. Looks to me like it matches up with stock holes?

To comlicate this discussion, I'm looking to replace side panels on my xr650l.

I've only found Acerbis and UFO side panels for the 600. I don't believe they make panels for the xr650l.

The L has a ridiculously large battery box hanging out on the left side. The side panels do a good job of protecing that box when riding tight trails, so would be ideal to have that lip over the edge of the front of the battery box-to aid with deflecting branches.

-Scott

I've seen acerbis sidepanels for $40 or $50, try places like cycle gear, dennis kirk, TT store.

I like the RMZ panels better but you'll need to make a cover for the left side of the box. Why not cut out the section that seals the box on the left, paint it low-gloss black, and just make a small lid over it?

I am sure it isnt that hard to do the RMZ if there are a few bikes with pictures floating around. Looks to me like it matches up with stock holes?

To comlicate this discussion, I'm looking to replace side panels on my xr650l.

My fault, I assume everyone rides what I do :thumbsup:

Either way you should do the battery box mod and put all your contents into the airbox. There are a few threads here and some great tutorials on 4strokes on how to do it. That way you get to run the XR600 panels.

There are some great plastic fillers/primers, if you are looking to kill a lazy weekend you can fill/sand/fill/sand/paint/sand/paint...you get the idea. Shouldnt be more than $10 in paint.

My primary concern with the battery relocation is reduced airbox volume. My motor is modded, so it loves all the air it can get. I ride in the northeast which is sand, dirt, sand, mud, sand, water, and more sand, so I'm reluctant to drill out the airbox or modify it such that more elements could get sucked through.

The enduro season just started, so I'm reluctant to get into that battery relocation project just yet.

My fault, I assume everyone rides what I do :thumbsup:

Either way you should do the battery box mod and put all your contents into the airbox. There are a few threads here and some great tutorials on 4strokes on how to do it. That way you get to run the XR600 panels.

There are some great plastic fillers/primers, if you are looking to kill a lazy weekend you can fill/sand/fill/sand/paint/sand/paint...you get the idea. Shouldnt be more than $10 in paint.