small stress crack on rim should I replace?

Locations and severity would play a role n my decision. I wouldn't ride on it too long though. A broken rim could cause some serious personal injury.

It is on the outside lip of the rim about 1/4" long. and bearly even noticeable but I was changing a tire and noticed it. I am at work so I cant get pics right now

When you say on the outside lip of the rim, do you mean up on top near the tire/bead or on the side of the rim? If it was in a place that had potential to split open wider due to constant impact I would consider replacement before it gets bigger.

I'd really need to see a picture though.

this is common. I would ride it if I had something planned. Then i would have it welded or replaced.

I was wondering if I could get it welded actually. It is like just a hairline type crack but does go all the way through. It is on the vertical part of the rim that the tire bead is behind.

RRIIIIGHT>>>>>>>>a wobble. Its a dirt bike, you cant feel the wobble that this MAY cause. I would weld it and if it cracks again then replace it.

I think I am with you on this one, A wobble that you would notice on a Dirtbike W/ Knobies offroad, I certianly am not riding 100mph and on asphalt. Most of the trails I ride I am lucky to see 30 but anyway, I found a good front wheel on E-bay so hopefully I will win that one and get this one welded as a back up

i wouldnt weld it... most people cant weld alloy very well and it may cause the rim to have soft spot that could rebreak or colapse on a hard landing. its cheap part to replace and isnt worth risking injuring yourself over it.