Sign in to follow this  

2008 KTM SMC 690...H-E-L-P anyone

I don't know where should I start...after 300 Miles wile I was riding the bike, suddenly the bike shut down..everything stooped working and I couldn't restart the bike at all for few minuets, it felt like there was not electric power at all. After taking back the bike to the dealer's workshop and left it there for nearly a week and after the dealer spoke to KTM I was told that it had something to do with the earth connection, which means that the paint on the frame was disturbing the earth connection. Anyway after collecting the bike and riding it for another 100 miles it append again..now I am not going to take the bike back to the dealer, I am going to write to KTM and demand my money back! It will probably won't happend and I will have to sell the bike or to trade it for a different bike at the dealers showroom.

Does anyone has any suggestions? Anyone came across this issue with his bike?

This is the firs and the last time I am purchasing a KTM!!

I don't know where should I start... (etc)

Does anyone has any suggestions? Anyone came across this issue with his bike?

This is the firs and the last time I am purchasing a KTM!!

I can't offer any help specifically to this bike, I can only commiserate. I had a Buell that was a second bike for commuting and general hooliganism. Worked great for both! But that thing started to plague me with electronic issues that became costly, annoying and dangerous. I sold it to stop the aggravation. However I've run into other Buell owners that have had thousands of trouble free miles. The was my first and last Buell.

I've had easily over 30 motorcycles in the 38 years I've been riding, some good, others not so good. I absolutely do not blame you for losing your faith in KTM, I would too after having your experience.

Having said that, I have a deposit on a 2009 KTM 690 SMC as I mentioned in your other thread. I am going to test ride one when the KTM test fleet comes to a local dealer in April, if I like it, I will most likely take the gamble and buy it.

So I hope your next purchase, and my next puchase, proves to be a better experience... :)

Thank you for your kind reply! I must say that except this electronic issue with the bike, the bike is a great fun. It feels solid as a tank and top build quality, it is just a shame about this electronic pur quality system. It is enough to have a quick look at this system to understand how crap it is. I have no idea what went through KTM's engineers mind when designing it. The electronic system on this bike looks exactly as the system on my 6 years old daughter's Jeep.

I just got to a stage where I can't trust the bike any more and I can't understand how come a top brand such as KTM don't do anything about it.

Just as you I had many bikes in the past 20 years and never lost a faith on one!

I am in the middle of a correspondence with KTM at this moment and will keep you all informed!

Cheers

Sounds like it could be something as simple as a bad ground. Finding these type of problems can be a hairball sometimes but not always. Do you know of any good electrical shops around? I once had a Supra ( I know ... its a car not a bike ) that would eat a battery every 10 to 12 months. Looked all around myself couldn't find a reason. Took it to the dealer twice, they couldn't find it. Took it to another dealer they also everything was fine. Finally took it to a mom and pop electrical garage that a buddy told me about and they fixed it!!! Was some bad wire on the back of the fuse box pulling to high of a draw. Why couldn't anyone else find that!?!?!?!? That's why I ask if you know of any good auto or bike electrical repair shops around, they might find it!

Hey redtail, what is the msrp on the 09? I can't find the msrp on a 09 anywhere?

How much $$ from the dealer............sticker.....I mean tag. Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price.........MSRP.

I live in England mate not in the US (I wish), My bike is an 08 model and I paid 5,300 Pounds for it, wail the 09 model is 6,300. There is no different between the 08 and the 09 model, they are exactly the same. I believe you can get a serious discount on the 08 model in times like this. The motorbike market in Europe had dropped by as much as 30%, the dealers are desperate to sale! It is a good time to buy, as long as you don't have to sale your old one.

By the way, the 09 retail price will be advertised on 1 April.

:)

Sounds like it could be something as simple as a bad ground. Finding these type of problems can be a hairball sometimes etc, etc, etc

Hey redtail, what is the msrp on the 09? I can't find the msrp on a 09 anywhere?

You are absolutely right about that, I had a dealer that was extremely unhelpful (read: d@#! head) so I bailed on diagosing the issue, but I'm certain a good mechanic could have resolved it.

As far as MSRP, I've been told by a couple of dealers that they are going to be right around $10,499. Pretty pricey considering the 08's were around $8,996. But hey, $10 grand in the bank don't wheelie like an SMC, at least so I've heard... :banghead:

Redtail, the smc is a crazy bike, it's like having a wild horse. I can not understand how come there is not a law about this total hooligan. At the moment I am in a dilemma with this bike, I had about 15 different bikes (mainy dirt) in my life and I bought them all from new. This is the first bike that I have been having problems with from the beginning. The bike is at the dealers workshop at the moment. After having a chat with my solicitor, I understood that according to the law of fair trade, I am entitle to get a refund within the first six month, if the bike was bought from new from a dealer, and had a mechanical problems that the dealer fail to fix. On the one hand I believe getting rid of this bike would save me lots of future problems, wail on the other, this bike kicks ass and makes me discover new things about myself. What on earth should I do man?

Redtail, the smc is a crazy bike, <<etc>>

What on earth should I do man?

Wow Yossinissim, that is a dilema! However, it sounds like you have more good to say than bad, at least at the moment. If you think there's going to be regrets by gettin rid of it, wait. The bike is new enough you have time to give it another chance.

Riding is all about what stirs your soul, and you seem like a man who has had just that. You've had many bikes, and this bike stands out, maybe it just might have redeemable qualities worth a giving it another go...

Best of luck, whatever you decide! :)

If it restarts without changing anything after a few minutes I don't think it'd be a bad ground. So you're saying it turns over or not after it quits? The prior poster's right. Electrical problems are a bitch to diagnose if they're intermittent but they'll get through it. There's only so many links in the chain, so to speak

Yoss, Keep riding it, bring it back to the dealer when the electrical problem fails again, bring it back ride again, etc. and repeat. The dealer will realise that the bike is a problem or lemon. They should then get ya a new one. Just be patient and keep bringing that thing in as soon as it fails again. Be consistant!!! They will want to rid you of this problem and should inquire on a new bike for ya. No dealer wants a customer that bought a new bike that keeps coming back with the same problem......it makes their sevice dept. look bad and they will blame the bike after a few repeated tries. Consistant is key!! Just keep bringing it back....RIGHT AWAY. It may not be REALLY fixed when you get it back this time or the next, but eventually something good will come about. DON'T sell it!! You just got dealt a bad hand that the dealer is gonna have to play for ya.......just don't fold!!!!

Would you guys think this motor (690) is faster that a crf450 or any of the race 450's???

/\ The 450s are very likely quicker than the 690 due to weighing 80 pounds less and being race geared. Even though they may be quicker, I can't imagine it being a big margin. The 690 motor is VERY strong. I have to imagine the 690 will win in top speed too.

Yoss, Keep riding it, bring it back to the dealer when the electrical problem fails again, bring it back ride again, etc. and repeat. The dealer will realise that the bike is a problem or lemon. They should then get ya a new one. Just be patient and keep bringing that thing in as soon as it fails again. Be consistant!!! They will want to rid you of this problem and should inquire on a new bike for ya. No dealer wants a customer that bought a new bike that keeps coming back with the same problem......it makes their sevice dept. look bad and they will blame the bike after a few repeated tries. Consistant is key!! Just keep bringing it back....RIGHT AWAY. It may not be REALLY fixed when you get it back this time or the next, but eventually something good will come about. DON'T sell it!! You just got dealt a bad hand that the dealer is gonna have to play for ya.......just don't fold!!!!

Amen! I have a good relationship with my dealer, but if I had these sorts of problems I would do the same. Luckily a friend of mine knows Mike Rosso (KTM USA) as well too so I could always go that route.

mine has 11 miles with the same no start or hard to crank over condition!may be my first+last ktm at the dealer now! trouble code flashing soft 32 + dat 11 nobody knows what that means?

Right guys, I live in England but I am originally from Israel. Today I phoned to every single KTM dealer in Israel, asking about any problems with the 690 SMC's. They all said that the bikes are problems free, some of them race with the bikes and some do some long journeys on them, some had the bikes for a year and some for three month. I then called my friend who is a dealer himself (not a KTM dealer), he said the same thing..there are no problems with the 690 SMC! After we carried on talking about the SMC problems, wail he was calling some people he knows asking them for their opinion, They all came up to the same conclusion: THE DEALERS (in the countries where there are prob with the bikes)ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS BIKES AND IT IS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THEIR BAD SETTING OF THE BIKES!

My friend will get me in touch with some SMC owners in Israel, so I can have a chat to them about their bikes.

Highrevz, Thanks for your suggestion mate, so far I do have a good relationship with my dealer. After all this is the forth bike I purchased from him during the past three years, this is his moment of truth test! Although the dealers workshop is Shi###$%@! the dealer is trying his best to keep me satisfied! Lets see if the problems will be solved once for good this time..

I must say, I have been reading in this forum some bitching stuff about KTM's customer service. When I called KTM, I had the most amazing service over the phone. When I wrote to KTM, I had a satisfying reply few days latter! I am sure there are some sad cases in this forum trying in vain to put some 'stains' on KTM's reputation, which isn't really helping us, just confuses us!

While I understand that there are plenty of 690s that are problem-free, there is no denying that some have had minor to major problems. Mine alone has had the rear turn signal melting problem, the gauge has been replaced (under warranty), the gas cap leaks, and it stalls every now and again. I can't imagine gas leaking on to a ridiculously hot muffler being a good thing. Also, about a week ago, the stalling almost cause me to dump it at a turn at a busy intersection.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the bike, but it does have problems that KTM should be addressing. Random stalling and a leaking gas cap next to an exhaust that gets hot enough to fry an egg should be major safety concerns. Both could lead to serious injury or death.

Mine is in for its first service now. I also have the speedo issue, and it is being addresses by the dealer while there. I moved my blinkers right away to avoid melting. I rode 250 miles last weekend. And 350 the weekend before. And I am absolutly in love with it. I loved my DRZ. And my SMC is like my DRZ, but better in every way. Especially in gas mileage. Which I was shocked about. My DRZ would get on average for me around 60 miles when the reserve kicked in(mostly track miles). The SMC gets around 140 touring. And am sure it will do on the track too from my friends experience. And my own on friends SMC's

Highrevz, I don't really know what the workshop is about to do to the bike..according to KTM, there is electrical fault that my be cosed by the alarm fitted in the bike. I was also told that the cause of the staling issue has something to do with the rider "riding style". After all the SMC is a racer more than a commuter, therefore we should ride it as we would ride any other racing machine. I was told that basically we should rave the engine when is about to stall. I know it sounds odd and I see it as an excuse for not finding a solution to the staling problem. On the other hand it may make sense to use some aggression with it...

I am going to give it a last chance..I believe I can get the bike not to stall by keep it raving and by getting to know it better. But if the other issue will appear again...that would be the end of it!!