Sign in to follow this  

cant get to shift!

first i want to say great site!i like the no bashing mentality ive seen,if everyone was a expert we wouldnt be here.that said i have a 91 dr-250 all stock.I purchased new in 91,my first bike ever.never any problems and i ride hard.im anal on maintenance.now my son :banghead: has been riding,never told me oil leaked out of shifter fork.when i noticed it i changed seals,no more leak.now though you have to really press hard to shift and some gears it wont go into it seems.I did change dogs and cog but not much of difference.what may be bent or broken i cant see anything wrong,shifter itself seems ok,thanks in advance :)

Just guessing, but it could possibly be a bent shifter shaft. I say this because I am currently replacing the shifter shaft on an '03 DRZ 250 that will only shift back and forth between first and second. Another clue is the leaking seal.

It could be leaking due to a blow to the shifter. I don't know the particulars of the gear selection issues and I am by no means a good mechanic, I am just making a suggestion based on my experience. Good luck.

I am suggesting that it may be the shaft itself. If it is bent real bad, sometimes you can remove the shift lever and look directly at the shaft coming out of the side of the case and see if it is centered. Mine was not bent enough to tell by looking at it until I removed it.

As far as the difficulty level of changing it out, it actually isn't that difficult. I am assuming that the procedure is essentially the same on your '91 versus my '03 and I believe it to be very similar on a lot of bikes.

If you look at the microfiche for your bike online like at ronayers.com, (see link below), or other site that has online microfiche, you can see how it comes out. You remove the shift lever and the retention clip on the end of the shaft that your shift lever just came off of. Then you remove the clutch cover and the shaft pulls right out.

On the '03 DRZ 250 the actual clutch does not need to come out. But while you are in there, you might as well give it look. Hope this helps. Good luck.:thumbsup:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/32/Year/1991/ModelID/6161/Model/DR250S/GroupID/249103/Group/GEAR_SHIFTING

it doesnt look bent,not ruling it out thou.however is it possible i reinstalled shift plate,dogs n cogg thing incorrectly,ie out of a proper "home position"?or start point?Ive read about all of the posts here on trans or anything close to and havent seen any info.thanks again for the help

If you put the pawls in wrong so that they bind on the plate it won't shift. The go in a certain way and are slightly wider on one side.

SUCCESS! Victory is mine(for now),well what i found was a bent stopper gear comp,i bent it back,put all back together,runs like new again.thanks to you guys that answered,gave me something to look at and fresh ideas.