Sign in to follow this  

All Mfr's oil created equal???

Used Yamalube in my wife's TTR but the local dealership has since folded. There's a Honda dealership nearby. Is there any big deal in switching over to the Honda brand oil? I'm thinking not.....:)

Try 1 qt Rotella 15 W 40 and 1/2 qt Mobil one 15 w 50 works better than anything I have tried and sent out to be tested and I have tried many .Unless you want costly racing oil .The rotella dino oil is good by it self it stays on the bearing surfaces and don't break down and shear off the bearings like some the Mobil 1 is slick and allso don't break down easily bolth can handle high Rpms of a thumpper but it dose do to being so slick it will sling off bearing surfaces like alot of synthetic oils will .The combination of the two greatly reduces wear .I know first hand it works well in a ttr and like I said it greatly reduces wear .Before useing it I would check your oil screen and make sure it's not cloged up with gunk .

My local dealer sells Kawi, Yamaha , Honda and they have told me that is is all the same stuff.

My local dealer sells Kawi, Yamaha , Honda and they have told me that is is all the same stuff.

Probably the same distribution plant too!

"Ok boys, stop the line, change the color of the bottle and the sticker machine, we're making Yamalube now!" :)

In a TTR125, what brand of oil isn't so important as CLEAN oil. TTR's aren't a high performance machine that put mega-force upon the internals like a YZF or CRF does.

I have used Rotella 15-40 in my TTR since the day I bought it, and no problems.

Stay away from "Energy Conserving" oils, as they may contain additives that are detrimental to wet clutches.

I'm pretty sure that all the manufacturer oils are from the same company, at least similar in quality. For instance, at the dealership I work at (We've got the Big 4) our service department either uses Honda GN4 or Kawasaki 10W40 Drum Oil for all of our oil changes, unless the manufacturer reccomends a different weight. In my TTR I run Mobil 1 20W50. Says it's formulated for air-cooled V-Twins. The TTR is air cooled and Yamaha says to run 20 weight.