Sign in to follow this  

DRZ for light Motocross.

Hey wassup fellas,

I just got back from the Local MX track on the DRZ400S, The guy said I can't go on because it's an 'enduro'

Obviously feeling a bit let down I wondered what you guys thought, is the DRZ suitable for MX? I'm merely a noob so I don't even leave second and it'd be nice to practice on the Z and see if I enjoy it before I go and drop 2-3 Grand on a proper bike.

I'd only go out when there aren't many people but the :) head said that it's still not able because 'it's too heavy' (DRZ 132KG vs RMZ450's weight of 100KG) Sure the Z isn't as nimble but christ, as least let me on the track to practice. The guy's a real jobs worth too, showing off his power to his buddies.

What do you all think?

The guy at my local track said I could bring my DRZ out. I don't see why being too heavy should keep you off the track.

Yours is an S, if you turned up with indicators etc etc I can see he might be concerned? How about you remove all the lights and try again, tell him its an RMZ import!

Dan

The DRZ is definitely not suited or suitable for that matter for MX. Suspension isn't proper, it's heavier than shit compared to an MX bike and a lot of tracks won't let bikes with lights run there. If you're wanting to ride MX I think an MX sickle is in order.

The DRZ is definitely not suited or suitable for that matter for MX. Suspension isn't proper, it's heavier than shit compared to an MX bike and a lot of tracks won't let bikes with lights run there. If you're wanting to ride MX I think an MX sickle is in order.

It kinda depends on your skills. You could ride a new CRF450R....put this guy on his(probably borrowed...XL650L) and he'd still kick everyone's ass.

Check the link below to see what a big ole pig of a dual sport can actually do in the hands of someone with talent. If this doesn't impress you....your probably damaged.

http://motocross.transworld.net/2008/09/10/texas-grudge-match/

I hear you buddy, but it's all I've got so I have to make do. It's heavy and cumbersome but it's an off road bike at the end of the day.

Yours is an S, if you turned up with indicators etc etc I can see he might be concerned? How about you remove all the lights and try again, tell him its an RMZ import!

Dan

Haha, that's a good idea buddy! The licence plate is removed along with all the mirrors and stuff. It's really just a farm/back roads bike.

Is 30KG really that much? The DRZ produces 33BHP, the RMZ produces 58 - surely it's safer for someone of my skill to ride the 400 than a 450.

But hey, it's his track so what can I do........

I raced a 2000 kick only DRZ for 2 years in MX. With stock suspension it was bottoming everywhere, but I was just breakin it in. Race Tech did the susp and it was just about dead even with a YZF400 with a slip on, just easier to ride. No reason a newb shouldn't be allowed in the "C" class practice.

I raced a 2000 kick only DRZ for 2 years in MX. With stock suspension it was bottoming everywhere, but I was just breakin it in. Race Tech did the susp and it was just about dead even with a YZF400 with a slip on, just easier to ride. No reason a newb shouldn't be allowed in the "C" class practice.

Awesome buddy, You musta' been hammering it a bit:thumbsup:

It wasn't even a practice day, there were 5 other bikes there going on and off, I said I'd just go on when no-one else was but to no avail.

The most annoying thing was that there was an 11 year old on a CRF150 and he was awesome, clearing jumps and beating people on 450's!!!!!

Awesome buddy, You musta' been hammering it a bit:thumbsup:

It wasn't even a practice day, there were 5 other bikes there going on and off, I said I'd just go on when no-one else was but to no avail.

The most annoying thing was that there was an 11 year old on a CRF150 and he was awesome, clearing jumps and beating people on 450's!!!!!

those 150's are pretty fast. take off the lights and other dual sport stuff and tr again.

those 150's are pretty fast. take off the lights and other dual sport stuff and tr again.

I'll give it a go, fingers crossed!

I ride my 2001 S on the MX track here with 450s and 250 2ts. Yeah The Z isnt as fast but I have fun! I can only manage about 12 labs before Im DONE!!! It will wear your ass out!

I took my old DR350 to practice day a few times. Yeah they're a pig but not anymore unsafe than any other bike. From a safety standpoint they usually want the liscence plate off cause they can be sharp. Mirrors off to get them out of your way and not catch someones jersey in close combat. Headlight off cause it's usually glass. No glass on the track.

They let me tape up my headlight in case it broke and my signals were tiny and out of the way.

Weight and suspension should have nothing to do with it. What if a 300lb. dude showed up with a brand new RMZ450 that was not sprung for his weight??? They'd let him ride. Be the exact same thing.

Ask the dude for a rule book! It won't be hard to meet their rules. Then he CAN'T keep you out.

Pauli