Sign in to follow this  

Am I too big?

Hi everyone,

I have spent the past year or so trying to find the right bike for me. I'm 38, havent really ridden much over the past 20 years and want to get into the Ontario trail ride events. The terrain is mixed, but my style of riding will not be too aggressive. I am not athletic, weigh 275lbs and really just interested in riding through the woods or down a dirt road and enjoying the scenery and time on a bike. Might be the occaisional hard twist on the throttle to get a kick off the bike, but generally taking it relatively easy.

My questions is - am I too big, at 6'1" and 275lbs for a TE310? That seems to be the ideal, "easy to ride" bike, but I worry that I'm too big for it.

Some have suggested that my size is enough to tame a 450 which is fine, but I worry that bike will be too much for me to handle in single track in the woods.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks..

Get the 450. It is not that your to big for the 310 it is that the 450 will pull the longer gearing you will need for more dualsport type event much better.

I think that ride guy knows what he's talking aboot :) Word on the street is he has a Husky or two :banghead:

Hi everyone,

I have spent the past year or so trying to find the right bike for me. I'm 38, havent really ridden much over the past 20 years and want to get into the Ontario trail ride events. The terrain is mixed, but my style of riding will not be too aggressive. I am not athletic, weigh 275lbs and really just interested in riding through the woods or down a dirt road and enjoying the scenery and time on a bike. Might be the occaisional hard twist on the throttle to get a kick off the bike, but generally taking it relatively easy.

My questions is - am I too big, at 6'1" and 275lbs for a TE310? That seems to be the ideal, "easy to ride" bike, but I worry that I'm too big for it.

Some have suggested that my size is enough to tame a 450 which is fine, but I worry that bike will be too much for me to handle in single track in the woods.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks..

i'm way smaller and lighter than you and have only limited recent experience in the dirt (been on road bikes for the last 20 odd years though) and the 450 has some serious go. i wouldn't be worried about it though as it only goes as hard as you twist the throttle. i'm not trying to be flippant here either, it's just that it is so tractable you can potter around on it all day without frightening yourself but wind it on and it will keep you interested and you won't be thinking "maybe i should have got the bigger one"

paul.

i have the te 450 im 6'2 190 pounds and the 450 is surprisingly easy to whip around single track and will still pull with an rmz down the road

I think that ride guy knows what he's talking aboot :) Word on the street is he has a Husky or two :banghead:

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies everyone. I suppose my biggest regret would be if I got the 310 and got bored of it. The flipside being I got the 450 and had to grow into it. Which would be fine. And I'd rather have the longer gearing as ride said. Who apparently know what he's talking about. And if I remember corectly is a police officer. I don't want to mess with the po-po.

Denois-

For someone your size a 450 might be a bit better choice. A 310 will haul you around just fine, but you would just have to use a lot more finesse & momentum on hillclimbs.

I ride a TE 250, and I don't think I could ever get bored of it - all I have to do is ride faster. Besides, I like the challenge of having a lower powered bike and doing all the same things everyone else does.

No matter what- you're going to need to get stronger springs in both ends.

BJ

Hi everyone,

Any advice appreciated.

thanks..

If you are flexible about brand of motorcycle, I know for a fact the DRZ 400 will work out just fine for a guy your height and weight. You will bottom out the suspension if you try to fly it on the MX track but in the woods, you will be amazed what the DRZ is capable of. Great trail bike for a large dude....

And if I remember corectly is a police officer. I don't want to mess with the po-po.

You have me confused with someone else. I'm not a cop. Not by a long shot :)

If you are flexible about brand of motorcycle, I know for a fact the DRZ 400 will work out just fine for a guy your height and weight. You will bottom out the suspension if you try to fly it on the MX track but in the woods, you will be amazed what the DRZ is capable of. Great trail bike for a large dude....

many people upgrade from a DRZ to a TE450 and never look back, much more modern / competent bike. The DRZ does have a much lower seat height though.

Get the 310 when you have mastered it and are ready for more power then go up in size. See to many people go to big to soon and really struggle with it. Just plain and simple works them to the point of not really enjoying or having FUN with it. From what you said I would go with the 310 or even a 250. Later George

I must admit, on the recent Baja adventure, the 250's were NOT at the back of the pack. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone with the 250 and worked my way up however, I'm only 5'10 160lbs. I've literally launched this 510 right out from under my ass with a slip on the throttle in the woods. I never use more than 1/2 throttle and lug it quite a bit. There are guys up here with much more skill that can use that much throttle and more, but I've learned to get out of their way :) FWIW

250 or 310.

I'm 200, or "only" 200 but it's plenty of power with the 6 spd gearbox. That is one thing to keep in mind. The 450's and 510's can get you more top-end, say 90- 100, versus the 80 on the 250's or 310 because they can pull taller gears.

I've had pretty limited experience with bikes but this is plenty of bike to scare you if you need a little adrenalin rush on that dirt road somewhere.

The other advantage is that the 250's get considerably better mileage.

I am a little lighter than You at 235#'s and 6'2" and have an 06 TE450. NO PROBLEM with the power out on the trail or dirt roads. I was off bikes for about 20 years, I did ride 3 and 4 wheelers during that time. The Husky has been very good to me, The only negative I can think of are she is a little tall and I have had many "tip overs" because of that. My Orange XCF-W 250 is a fun bike and I use it for DEZ racing and more technical stuff, but its a little more work keeping it in the power band. Its a little shorter and lighter so its a little easier on this Old Man. They both have there place in my garage.

It would be best to be able to ride both, but thats probably not possible.

Good Luck

Get the 310 when you have mastered it and are ready for more power then go up in size. See to many people go to big to soon and really struggle with it. Just plain and simple works them to the point of not really enjoying or having FUN with it. From what you said I would go with the 310 or even a 250. Later George

Totally agree. I weigh 240 before gear. Started with the 510 went to the 450 and now have the 08 TE 250. The 250 has been the most fun by far.:)

many people upgrade from a DRZ to a TE450 and never look back, much more modern / competent bike. The DRZ does have a much lower seat height though.

I NEVER implied that the DRZ was a better performer or a superior motorcycle then the Husky or any other bike. I would expect something like a newer Husky or a KTM to be whole lot more advanced motorcycle then the DRZ and I would expect that it would out perform the DRZ in most if not all areas. Taking that into consideration, the original poster sounded like he was looking for a mellow woods ride to get back into riding. I did not get the impression that high performance was in his wish list. I figured a used DRZ would be an option for his size and his stated riding plans without spending a lot of cash....

I NEVER implied that the DRZ was a better performer or a superior motorcycle then the Husky or any other bike. I would expect something like a newer Husky or a KTM to be whole lot more advanced motorcycle then the DRZ and I would expect that it would out perform the DRZ in most if not all areas. Taking that into consideration, the original poster sounded like he was looking for a mellow woods ride to get back into riding. I did not get the impression that high performance was in his wish list. I figured a used DRZ would be an option for his size and his stated riding plans without spending a lot of cash....

OK, good points.

I am 6'2" and 260lb. just had my tc 450 suspension redone for my wieght and the bike is a pleasure to ride. my only regret is that I dont have the 6 speed trany. I like to do some tech riding and that is tough on a tc. I am looking for another bike with the power and low end that tech riding needs.

John

I'm 5 11 and 230 lbs and ride the Ontario Trail Series. I love my 07 TE450 and it halls my butt around just fine. I have ridden my wife's 08 TE250 with no problems as well and in the tight single track the I am probably faster. That said , when i hit the fire roads and 2 track the 450 just rocks. On hill climbs the 450 blows the 250 away. If i were to do it again i think i would buy the 450 again. kinda depends what you like to ride.

For our area check out the ODSC or SCORRA clubs

Randy

Cambridge Ontario

Consider a TE 450. I think you would be happier in the long run. It has usable power, handles well and is reliable.

Regards,

JEF