Sign in to follow this  

Carb upgrade pics...

Hi guys,

I bought a DRZ that came with all the parts for the carb upgrade. I just wanted to make sure everything looks OK and that I have everything. I have seen the list from Eddie, so I know I have most of the parts. Just thought I would post them up and see if I'm missing anything before a friend comes over to help me install...

img1558b.th.jpg

img1559n.th.jpg

img1560r.th.jpg

img1565n.th.jpg

img1564e.th.jpg

img1563g.th.jpg

img1562r.th.jpg

img1561p.th.jpg

img1566g.th.jpg

img1567l.th.jpg

img1568u.th.jpg

img1569y.th.jpg

img1570o.th.jpg

Thanks,

Chet

I just realized I missed the picture of the spring... I have it...

I need to order the o-ring... I also need a 155 Jet for now. Anyone know where I can order it? And how much?

Chet

I don't know if you have everything because I've not done this mod. The way you placed the part number with the picture is awsome and should be placed in the FCR thread as a sticky....nice work:worthy:

Umm, those aren't part numbers... Those are picture sizes... Sorry... :)

Maybe Eddie or someone can edit it with the part numbers and then sticky it... :banghead:

You might have to grind off some of the cable tower, looks like you have the model with cast housing for the gas wires

Umm, those aren't part numbers... Those are picture sizes... Sorry... :banghead:

Maybe Eddie or someone can edit it with the part numbers and then sticky it... :foul:

:):banghead: Man I gotta stop leaving my reading glasses at work. That there is funny!

Looks like your carb is the wrong type, I'm not saying it won't work but the type you want has a removable throttle shaft cover (plastic) and a removable air intake bell that can accomodate a Sudco part that bolts on to fit your airboot.

I emailed the guy I bought the parts from and here is what he had to say...

"you need the removable bell if you use the old style carb. since this is the new style carb, you have to use the new drz400e style air boot. pop off the subframe and take a look. If i remember correctly, you need to put both off the rear motormount plates on one side of the bolt to get the little bit of extra clearance."

Doe this make sense, I have no mechanical experience and will be having a friend help me install it.

Thanks,

Chet

The recommendation is to move the engine mount plates to the left of the frame for extra clearance but the problem with the carb you have might be that the carb cast iron tower (that houses the throttle shaft) will touch the frame. F2Dog suggested grinding down the cast iron tower to get the carb to fit. I'm not sure about the air boot though, it might be worth measuring the diameter of the carb (air intake side) and comparing that to the airboot diameter.

The recommendation is to move the engine mount plates to the left of the frame for extra clearance but the problem with the carb you have might be that the carb cast iron tower (that houses the throttle shaft) will touch the frame. F2Dog suggested grinding down the cast iron tower to get the carb to fit. I'm not sure about the air boot though, it might be worth measuring the diameter of the carb (air intake side) and comparing that to the airboot diameter.

Also notice that the E-boot and s/sm boothas different diameters.

As far as I can remember (Have an e booth in a drawer somewhere),the E-booth is smaller than s/sm.

E-boot also lacks the nipple for the oil line from the black box.

If you can measure the diameter on the intake side of the carb ,I can check the booth I have lying around somewhere (Good reason to organize my stuff )

Here are some pics of the Fcr 39 Mx carb

This one has the throttle position sensor and the hot start that is not really needed but works just the same. Note the black plastic intake bell and throttle cover.

I bought this carb off ebay and bought all the parts needed listed on the Fcr Mx conversion mod from Sudco. Then I found out what jets I needed form the intake forum and Eddie.

>current=FCR39MXleft.jpg

>current=FCR39MXright.jpg

That carb is off a YFZ450 quad. I have that same carb on my LTZ. YOu will need to drill and tap a spot for the top throttle cable, or buy a motion pro twist throttle for a YFZ (single cable).

You can get it to work, but it's going to be a pain, that carb is much bigger and going to be nearly impossible to fit in the DRZ. I have the Sudco FCR in my DRZ and this FCR in my LTZ, and they are quite different.

You don't need an e boot. You need a YZ450 or CRF450 one.
not sure if the 450 boot is the same as the 426 boot but when i was running an e-model boot with my fcr i was also using an scaryfast powernow belmouth that was ment for a 98-02 yz/wr 250/400/426.it fit with no problems