Sign in to follow this  

Jetting question for upcoming mods

Good day all,

I presently have a '03 S with the 3x3 and DJ kit, stock exhaust & stock air filter, stock gearing. I'm running between sea level and 1500 ft., roughly between 5 degrees celsius and 30. I have a mikuni carb with:

140 MJ

DJ Needle & Spring

4th clip on the needle,

25 Pj

2.5 turns out.

First off, I'm still not convinced i'm at the perfect settings. Bike runs greats when cold, but sometimes gives me a little "bog" when I snap the throttle from 1/8 to WOT. I also think that i'm losing some performance when the bikes gets warm as it is harder to make it wheelie. I'm not sure if i means i'm lean or too rich...

Anyway, i wanted to ask you guys what setting should be my baseline to start with the new Yoshi RS2 full system (what, I needed to spend my taxes money!!:) ) and a K&N filter. I do lots of pavement, and the dirt roads here aren't dusty.

Thanks!

Maybe some clarification, the RS2 full system is delivered with a 96dB insert (USFS) as stated on the yosh website... are your recommandations based on this insert?

Also, I forgot to mention that I was using the Keintech extented fuel screw, I've read in some post that the adjustement differs from the stock screw. I thought that the adjustment was the same, just made easier, am I right??

i.e. is 2.5 turns on stock fuel screw = 2.5 on extended?

What size mikuni carb? If its stock then push that screw in. Im at about 2000 feet above sea level with the 40 over big bore + cams + FMF full exhaust + K&N air filter and I only run 2 turns out. I also have a 150MJ. I would advise setting your screw at 1.75 turns and adjusting 1/4 turn either way depending how the bike likes it.

Thanks for advice, but that doesn't really answers my question.. Are those jetting spec that Eddie recommanded are for with or without the insert?

As with the insert itself, I wil see once I get the system installed.. I'm not sure how loud it will be, I think 96dB will be just alright. I've read posts where people ride with earplugs and I don'T want to have to do that myself. I'm not racing with my drz, i'm commuting a lot and lots of riding in the woods.. I don'T want to be an annoyance. I know some of you will say "why did you get a pipe then?" Well I don't mind being louder than stock, but if you have to wear earplugs then it's maybe a bit too loud for people around (espcially white cars with revolving red & blue lights).:)

I've read that thread about the fuel screw before, I was just wondering if the setting would differ from one type of screw to the other (i.e. are the tapers of the screws different)

What size mikuni carb? If its stock then push that screw in. Im at about 2000 feet above sea level with the 40 over big bore + cams + FMF full exhaust + K&N air filter and I only run 2 turns out. I also have a 150MJ. I would advise setting your screw at 1.75 turns and adjusting 1/4 turn either way depending how the bike likes it.

I have the regular 36mm. I will give that a try.. Oh I just can't wait to have access to my bike to start getting it ready..

With all those mods I guess it's only a matter of time before you put in that FCR isn't it?? :)

I have the regular 36mm. I will give that a try.. Oh I just can't wait to have access to my bike to start getting it ready..

With all those mods I guess it's only a matter of time before you put in that FCR isn't it?? :)

Now its my turn to sound like jackass. Im not up to speed on al the abbreviations and am actually quite computer illiterate. LOL. What the hell is an FCR?

Now its my turn to sound like jackass. Im not up to speed on al the abbreviations and am actually quite computer illiterate. LOL. What the hell is an FCR?

FCR is the model name of a carburator found on some models of the DRZ. It is bigger than the Mikuni (39mm vs 36mm) and have a much better throttle response. There is a lot of posts on the FCR in the forum!

FCR is the model name of a carburator found on some models of the DRZ. It is bigger than the Mikuni (39mm vs 36mm) and have a much better throttle response. There is a lot of posts on the FCR in the forum!

I like my mikuni. I use my bike for stunt shows. If I put that FCR on there it would slam me into the pavement. The mikuni keeps the bike forgiving enough to stunt while giving the performance I want.

fraid not.

if you like your stock carb,thats cool but lets not make up reasons to not have a fcr.

I also Like having the extra money I would spend on that carb for replacement parts. I go through bars like nobodys business. And Im about to need a graphics kit too. I have just about worn the stock decals off jumping all over it.