Sign in to follow this  

Giant Rock 03/15

Heading out to Giant Rock tomorrow for the first time. Any advice on staging area or ride directions? I'll be in a gold Ford F-150 Supercrew. I'll be on my CRF230 and my buddy will be on the Quad 250ex. All are welcome but our skill level is beginner to intermidiate. We'll be leaving Temecula by 0630 hope to be there no later than 0800.

Hope you liked it there is alot to see, next time out the palace in Pioneer Town has the best steaks and music anywhere.

Maybe we'll hit that for an early dinner on our way back. Thanks.

Sorry to keep posting but thought I would say we'll be staging at the grid coordinates giving on the where to ride forum for giant rock.

Latitude:

Longitude:

Street Address:

Nearest City:

Landers

State/Province:

Ca

Zip/Postal Code:

There isn't really alot of riding at Giant Rock. With the Marine Base, Houses near by, and all the trash and debris littered around, I think you'd be better at Means and ride over to check out the rock.:)

Thanks for the info. Where is Means? Can you PM with Lat Long? or diredctions. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. Where is Means? Can you PM with Lat Long? or diredctions. Thanks again.

It is on Boone Road off of Old Woman Springs road. Boone runs down to Means dry lake.

34 22' 07.36"N

116 32 44.62"W

MeansDryLake.jpg

Stop and take a look at the "Crazy Mans House" That is what me and my brothers call this http://integratron.com/Welcome.html

From GR head west towars Lucern past the phone lines (phone lines go to a old copper mine that is now a cal tech seismograph) and there will be a trail with a million whoops there are a lot of fun long sand hills to climb.

Also as you are heading down 247 and mile or so before you make the right turn to head towards Giant Rock take notice of a dirt road called New Dixie Mine Rd. If you make a left off 247 that road it turns into one of the best sand washes you will ever ride. It will take you all the way to big bear (If you know were you are going)

Have fun and please bring a trash bag and pick up some hippies / desert trolls trash around GR

To cool, We'll do the Means Lake area. Thanks to all see new places is the best thing about trail riding. I'll bring a trashbag and a camera.

To cool, We'll do the Means Lake area. Thanks to all see new places is the best thing about trail riding. I'll bring a trashbag and a camera.

Ahh you should of said something earlier.Rode local today,was gonna go out to JV instead,saved gas money though.Last time I checked It said it was gonna be windy and below 65*.Check the weather and bring a sweat shirt.Next time your gonna go out to Means/Boone rd PM me.

Ahh you should of said something earlier.Rode local today,was gonna go out to JV instead,saved gas money though.Last time I checked It said it was gonna be windy and below 65*.Check the weather and bring a sweat shirt.Next time your gonna go out to Means/Boone rd PM me.

I'll do that for sure, It was a great day. It was a little chilly and windy, but not bad, in fact the breeze made it perfect when we found ourselves in some tight stuff. We made a 30 mile loop. We never made it to giant rock instead we headed over the hill and then looped back around past the Marine Corp range. we got into some rocky technical stuff in the washes trying to get back over the hill but what a blast this is a great area. Wish I had taken more photos.

Dude,

It was the best area we have ridden yet. We definately have to check it out again.

Stop and take a look at the "Crazy Mans House" That is what me and my brothers call this http://integratron.com/Welcome.html

From GR head west towars Lucern past the phone lines (phone lines go to a old copper mine that is now a cal tech seismograph) and there will be a trail with a million whoops there are a lot of fun long sand hills to climb.

Also as you are heading down 247 and mile or so before you make the right turn to head towards Giant Rock take notice of a dirt road called New Dixie Mine Rd. If you make a left off 247 that road it turns into one of the best sand washes you will ever ride. It will take you all the way to big bear (If you know were you are going)

Have fun and please bring a trash bag and pick up some hippies / desert trolls trash around GR

I know EXACTLY where he is talking about... and it is true. It is so much fun there!

Dude,

It was the best area we have ridden yet. We definately have to check it out again.

Since you're new to riding and the JV area there's so much area to ride on. I know a lot of guys on this forum ride there and are real keen on where to go. Keep posting and you'll get a mound of suggestions on where to ride.

From Means DL you can go north of the lake bed to a sand hill/bowl which is fun for a while. If you've ever heard of "The Hammers" which is a rock crawling mecca, Jack and Sledge Hammer are East of Means (up and over the first hill). West of Means are a few small dunes which are fun...

REZ

This place was awsome we rode east over the closest hill, down the sothern face of that same hill then back east th some sand dunes, they were cool, then north and back west to the bobing range, skirted it into some washes and then back o over that hill through some pretty rocky area's towards giant rock (never made it there though) then back north to the dry lake. Was about 4.5 hours of pretty darn good riding we will return oh yes we will return.