Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Using Frame Guards?

I am on my 4th ride with Light Speed Frame guards and they look like crap already. What are you guys using an how do they hold up?

Talk to my buddy (user: pdx_munkel). He's got them and has some grip tape on them that protect the carbon and provide a little grip I think.

I have the Lightspeed guards also. On the left side a spot about the size of a half dollar the carbon fiber wore through after about 4 rides. After cleaning if you put a little tire shine or spray polish they will look pretty good though. When they are dirty they look like crap.

Over the winter I cleaned my Light Speeds up and painted them with urethane clear. They look good now but will probly get beat up in the spring. It's better than trashing your frame.

yeah I have the LS ones and put two large pieces of grip tape on each side for more "grip" it also helps to protect the guard too. Mine are holding up well but they don't get any wear on them, it all wears on the grip tape.

why get frame guards if you have to put guards on the guards?
for me that wasn't the plan at all, I wanted some guards to cover the rear brake res and also to protect the frame, I tend to drop it in the rocks rather frequently, I got the LS ones and then wanted more grip for my boots on the frame. It's not ideal but it has protected my frame very well, the guards have taken some sharp rock hits and held up well.

That bike looks amazing man, great job! I am blacking mine out soon as well.
thanks man!