Sign in to follow this  

What clamps fit '08 yz250/what does offset do

I have a set of stock clamps from a '07 250f and also a set of stock clamps for a '08 yz. The steering stem on the 250f (Ithink) is about an inch longer. other than that they look identical.

Are they?

I need to bore out a set to fit 49mm forks. I am considering buying an aftermarket set but not sure what models fit. If the 250f's are the same or not.

Also Would someone mind telling me the idea behind different offsets?

Thanks

06-09 YZ125, 250, 250F, and 450F's all use the same clamps. The steering stems are different. The only bike that uses the same steering stem as the 06-09 YZ250 is the 06 YZ450F, then the 450 got a different stem for later years.

Changing the offset affects the handling. Each bike has an offset that it will handle the best with. For example, many people agree that YZ250F tends to handle best with a 22mm offset. Most people agree that the YZ250 is a bike that handles the best with the stock 25mm offset, but there are a handful of people that like a different offset. I myself have found the stock offset feels the best for me after trying a couple different options on a YZ250.

Great info. Thanks

That was an informative post! KJ790 sure knows his stuff.

Less offset = quicker steering and less stability.

You get nothing for free!