Sign in to follow this  

Advice Please Engine Wont Start after top end install

Choke on, throttle cracked a few degrees. Kick hard and the full stroke. If everything is OK it will start.

After that:

1) Check spark

2) check for other paper towels (other side of carb, air box)

3) drain float/tank and refill with known good gas

4) check valve clearance

5) double check cam. Remove the head cover gasket to got exact alignment. This can be screwed up if the thick rubber gasket is in the way to see the marks.

Go through this list and reply back.

Thanks for the reply !

I have spark

I cleaned out carb and removed float boal etc and cleaned jets with carb

spray

Cam is correct and so is timing

I am having trouble getting a feeler guage in to check my valve clearences i will go to napa today and try to get something that works

you need to shim your valves back in to spec. Hard starting is one of the signs they are out.

yup you guys are 100% correct , i kicked the bike 40 times + with no results . it was the shims i went from the stock 188 down to 185 shims for the intake and the exhaust was in spec. I also had too much tension on the cam chain cause i turned the adjuster counter clockwise and not clockwise like i should have :) not to mention the pilot jet was clogged with a tiny spec of paper towel The bike is running excellent with the 13:5:1 piston with the 103 octane race gas just need to work on my jetting a bit and get this thing dialed in ! Starts on the first kick now !!

having the same problem with my 07 250f... bike fires up but wont idle, and once its hot you need to pull the choke out to get it to start. bike idles fine with the choke on...