Sign in to follow this  

wheel bearings

how can i get these out...i popped the seals and repacked them but the more i think about it i just wanna replace them while i got it apart...i cant think of how to pry or punch them out as the spacer mounts flush with the bearing...any ideas??

With the wheel laying on its side I used a long punch to drive the lower bearing (one closest to the ground) out.

but where do you put the end of the punch?? i cant find anything to butt it against that would drive out the bearing

^ i cant figure out how to do that...where do you move it over? i has very, very little movement/play, not enough to get a punch on it from what i have found

put your punch in until its just about at the bearing and then hit it side ways.

either that or use something with a sharper edge (old screwdriver)

the bearing spacer will move - just stuck after being in there all that time

Make sure you remove those retaining rings before trying to knock the bearings out.

There should be just enough of a lip on the bearing to put a long screwdriver/punch/steel rod on it and whack it with a hammer. I usually put the drift in there and hold it cocked to one side - one end on the bearing and the shaft pushed against the opposite side - and whack it good. Work your way around the bearing and it will come out; don't keep beating in one spot.