Sign in to follow this  

ttr90 tools: timing chain

I just rebuilt the top of my sons 2004 ttr90, and when I put it all back together the timing chain came off of the gears on the crankshaft. It ran for a few seconds and then abruptly shut off. I pulled it apart and thankfully no damage to piston or valves. It seems I need to pull the flywheel off to put the timing chain back on. The problem is I can't find a flywheel puller. The dealer wants a million dollars for a puller and sheave holder. I don't have a million dollars for a tool I will use probably only once. Anyone know where to get an aftermarket one? I have checked alot of sites online, and nobody lists one specifically for a ttr90.

Also, if you know a way to put the timing chain on the inside gears without removing the flywheel, by allmeans, please let me know! Thanks, Brian

Well, after much research and many phone calls, it appears that nobody except for yamahahaha makes a flywheel puller specifically for a ttr90. Just that tool from Yamahahaha costs $168.00. And it's out of stock. With no fullfillment date. Not from my dealer, but from the tool dept at yamaha warehouse. ***! The cool people over at Motion Pro Motorcycle Tools are willing to try and put one together for me. All they want is the bolt hole thread and pitch. Just for anyone else who has this problem, it is M8 x 1.25.

Do not do what I did! I used a modified harmonic balance puller to try and remove the flywheel. All that this did was mushroom the end of the crankshaft. Only a little though, but if I kept cranking on the puller I would of really efed it up.

Long story short, I had to drop the bike off at the dealer and have them remove the flywheel and replace the timing chain. Oh well, $300.00 more bucks out of my but.