Sign in to follow this  

First Pit Bike - build crf50 from stock?

Hi everyone, I'm looking into building my first pitbike. I've done a lot of searching on here, but haven't really found exactly the advice that I need, so I figured I would post.

I'm 5'6" ~145 lbs.

What are ALL the parts you need to start riding a pitbike like... well, a pitbike? I would rather stay away from the chinese imports, I really like Honda and I know I'll have no trouble ever getting parts.

It seems a big bore kit, new shocks front and rear, big handlebars, oil pump for the engine kit are standard. Is there anything I'm missing?

Here are a couple of options on local craigslist that I have:

04 crf50 - $900

built for adults bike has two brothers 88 kit , BBR bar kit , I shock ,rev box,street tires , frame riser, FMF pipe $900

stock crf50 - $650 obo

2008 crf50 - $1050

BBr tall bar kit

BBr heavy duty rear spring

BBr heavy duty fork springs

SSr tall seat

Heavy duty oil pump

Trail bikes 88 big bore kit

well the built up ones are nice but you just gotta make sure they havnt already been beat

I know, being beaten on was what I'm worried about.

These are some pics of the one for $900, that is actually in the next town over from me.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

The first thing I would do is get dirt tires for this thing, cus I don't trust pavement haha.

is the two brothers 88kit reliable? and he says there is a 'frame riser' but upon googling i couldn't find anything.

Also, why does that bike there have such a different stance compared to:

CRF50-01p.jpg

Why is the shock placement so different between these two bikes? Is one better for dirt riding than the other?

and sketchy - where in MA are you?

what is the point of the body lift? it makes the bike look pretty strange

I know, being beaten on was what I'm worried about.

These are some pics of the one for $900, that is actually in the next town over from me.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

The first thing I would do is get dirt tires for this thing, cus I don't trust pavement haha.

is the two brothers 88kit reliable? and he says there is a 'frame riser' but upon googling i couldn't find anything.

That thing is fugly! (no offense if you bought it)

haha no i didnt buy it, i thought it was ugly too...

it must be the frame riser thing that makes it look so horrid.

what would it take to get a stock CRF50 to look like this and be ready to start learning on?

3k83mb3o1ZZZZZZZZZ9395efd7cb652131008.jpg

^Probably just some suspension upgrades, higher bars, Big Bore Kit, and a pipe for some extra powa.

Thanks slowxr, good to know. The guy with the 2008 crf just emailed me back, said he's going to send pictures soon. Said he built it for backyard jumping but wasn't really into it and that's why he is selling. With the upgrades he listed too it seems it would be a pretty good deal.

These are the pictures:

dirt1.jpg

dirt2.jpg

looks pretty sweet to me! i hope to check it out this week.

one question though - if you look at the back under the rear fender, why are those two parts of the frame open like that?

They are supposed to be like that..You can see them because it's lifted.

sweet, i am really excited. the last bike i owned was an 85 xr250r but it weighed twice as much as i did with gas in it. now i can finally learn balance and to ride and hopefully not kill myself!

Also, why does that bike there have such a different stance compared to:

CRF50-01p.jpg

Why is the shock placement so different between these two bikes? Is one better for dirt riding than the other?

and sketchy - where in MA are you?

Is this the $900 one? With the upgraded parts it appears to have (88cc, forks, swingarm, shock etc), I would definitely check it out to see what condition it's in and IMO buy it if it's decent.

Actually that was just a random picture I grabbed off google. The $900 one was a strange looking 04 that had a body lift, and it didn't have dirt tires either. So I'll be checking the one that I just posted pics of this week. He said there are some scratches on the plastics, and the kill switch is "weirded out" but other than that the bike runs great. Gonna go see it to make sure!

do you think it's as serious as the subframe? i did think that it looked strange compared to other ones, the other guy said you can see the frame because it's lifted. could the plastics just be put on wrong or something?

ill ask the guy about it.

edit: i drew a line in paint that goes along the subframe and it looked pretty straight... it would have to be bent like ^ in order for it to hang low like that, correct?