Sign in to follow this  

Is Suzuki responsible for our false reading Speedometers?

After reading soooo many threads that reference our speedos being inaccurate. Should Suzuki be responsible to either fix our speedos or replace them? How can they sell a cycle for so many years with the same problem year after year and never have a recall on it to fix this? Is this normal with motorcycles and acceptable with the DOT? This is my first bike so I really don't know any better, but it seems odd to me that a major player like Suzuki could sell a product that has such a serious flaw in it. This is a safety concern and seems like a recall is in order. What our your thoughts on this?

Maybe if we can get a petition going, we can get Suzuki to open their eyes and we can get this issue fixed without having to spend our own money on a Vapor or other product to solve a problem Suzuki should be fixing.

I've had a lot of bikes and it's pretty much widely accpeted and known that the speedos read 10% faster than what you are actually going.

Safety? "I could have wrecked because I was only doing 80 when my speedo said 89." Good luck with that. If you need more accuracy get a gps or vapor or some such.

I always thought that speedos read lower than the true speed. :) I might get the GPS out and test my speedo reading

Just realised what I typed, doh! Should be speedos read higher than true speed.

Safety? "I could have wrecked because I was only doing 80 when my speedo said 89." Good luck with that. If you need more accuracy get a gps or vapor or some such.

You are reading it wrong. It would seem to me that the DOT would require a motor vehicle to have a properly calibrated speedometer from the factory.

Do cars come from the factory off like this? To me, this does not sound right.

I'm not trying to create an argument for trying to get out of tickets and such. I'm just not understanding why Suzuki can continue to sell a model of bike that has an inproperly calibrated speedometer. Say what you want, I think it's wrong.

I remember reading on here that there is a way to adjust the calibration of the speedo so that you can dial it in to be more precise. Ill see if i can dig it up somewhere.

Speedos always read higher than true speed. Two reasons I can think of: speeding tickets and buyer's ego.

I hope you don't think the tach on your sportbike is that accurate either...

You are reading it wrong. It would seem to me that the DOT would require a motor vehicle to have a properly calibrated speedometer from the factory.

Do cars come from the factory off like this? To me, this does not sound right.

I'm not trying to create an argument for trying to get out of tickets and such. I'm just not understanding why Suzuki can continue to sell a model of bike that has an inproperly calibrated speedometer. Say what you want, I think it's wrong.

Yes, even cars are off. No such critter as a properly calibrated factory speedo. Police vehicles are worked over to ensure that the speedo reads right. The only thing the DOT wants is an accurate odometer. They want the miles shown to be accurate. It's a good bet that no matter what you are driving the speedo says that you are going faster than you are. Now change the tires or pressure and who knows how fast you are going?

I remember reading on here that there is a way to adjust the calibration of the speedo so that you can dial it in to be more precise. Ill see if i can dig it up somewhere.

Does not exist. You can tweak the readings of the trip meters and that is it.

Odo is fairly accurate. It is impossible to 'fix' the speed reading. Trust me, I have tried. If it really bugs you, replace the unit with a Vapor.

Does not exist. You can tweak the readings of the trip meters and that is it.

Odo is fairly accurate. It is impossible to 'fix' the speed reading. Trust me, I have tried. If it really bugs you, replace the unit with a Bapor.

SEE...........there is even a 10% Error when just taking about speedos:eek:

What William meant to say was - Vapor, not Bapor:smirk:

my truck is right on with a GPS, as soon as I pull the DRZ out I'm going to check that against the GPS as well

I’m with you dude I reckon its diabolical that Speedo’s are nearly always out, I have fitted a Vapor to my SM which I have calibrated using tyre size circumference and gps. Great piece of kit the Vapor but we shouldn’t have to get an after market Speedo to do what should come as stock. my original speedo was 8mph out at top 90mph, thats just bad.:)

SEE...........there is even a 10% Error when just taking about speedos:eek:

What William meant to say was - Vapor, not Bapor:smirk:

:)

"Yes, even cars are off. No such critter as a properly calibrated factory speedo. Police vehicles are worked over to ensure that the speedo reads right. The only thing the DOT wants is an accurate odometer. They want the miles shown to be accurate. It's a good bet that no matter what you are driving the speedo says that you are going faster than you are. Now change the tires or pressure and who knows how fast you are going?"

That's how it goes I guess. I was more curious than anything. I kind of figured that they would need to be "on" from the factory. But that just isn't the case is it? It really does not bother me that bad as I don't really use it around town. I do look at it on the freeway though and it would be nice to know exactly how fast I am running. Is the Vapor really accurate? I thought I read it's a bit off as well.

The Vapor can be calibrated. Its accuracy is only as good as your ability to install and adjust it properly.

I’m with you dude I reckon its diabolical that Speedo’s are nearly always out, I have fitted a Vapor to my SM which I have calibrated using tyre size circumference and gps. Great piece of kit the Vapor but we shouldn’t have to get an after market Speedo to do what should come as stock. my original speedo was 8mph out at top 90mph, thats just bad.:banghead:

I agree. I've passed one of the speed checkers on the freeway. It was on a stretch of road that has a 55mph limit. It cruised passed it for a week straight at 55 (on my speedo) and the roadside checker would read 47-49mph. That just sucks. Now I feel like I'm lying when I tell someone that I can cruise 70mph on the freeway. I'm probably only cruising about 64-65mph then.

I'm gonna get a Vapor, some hot cams, and maybe a gear change just so I can feel good about the lies I've told! :)

One other thing I can think of is that the car companies do not want to be liable for an accident. After a crash you could use the argument that the speedo said you were not speeding so the car company who sent out a "defective" speedo is to blame. If the speedo's are lets say +-5% off on any given speedo they can just set them all off by 5% higher than actual so no speedo gives a slower than actual speed reading. Added bonuses are that the rider thinks the bike is faster than it really is. Less speeding tickets. Less accidents.... just a guess.

My 09" DRZ 400 SM O.D. Is way off!!! I commute 21 miles to work one way.My trip and O.D. say its 28 miles!!.I have 2400 miles on the bike or do I....Every time I think about calling the dealer about it, I forget because Im having too much fun riding it.

never heard of the odo being appreciably off. Have you changed tire size in front? Not sure how much effect that would have.

Something's definitely wrong, ODOs including the DRZ one are fairly accurate and you're nearly 40% off... Are you sure you didn't switch it to metric?!?