Sign in to follow this  

ktm 200 exc or 300exc

I have decided to buy a new 09/10 2 stroke towards the end of this year.

I have just come back to bikes after a few years absence and last year I bought a crf 250x basically because I have never owned a four stroke. Its a great bike I have tuned the engine and suspension, it's a good all round bike.

I do worry about it turning into a expensive basket case. The 250x weighs 106kg and is heavy to pull out when you bog it big time.

I would like a 2 stroke not just for the more bullet prove engines but for a lighter bike for trails, woods and fun mx track days.

My dilemma is which ktm enduro, I have heard a lot of good feedback on both the 200 and 300. I like the idea of the low down pull of the 300 but also would enjoy the lighter 200 knowing that I could get the bike singing ok.

I am 6ft and185lbs if that helps. Anyone willing to offer advice on the above info??

If you search old post this question comes up several times a year. I went with the 200 because it is light and fun to ride, several friends have 300 and they are good bikes but a different riding style. Does ktm offer the xc and xcw on your side of the pond? The xc would be better if you want to ride MX alot. The 300 is easier to lug down low the 200 has to be reved a little more.

I like the 200 because I can ride it like stole it for a lot longer with out getting tired as compared to the 300. The weight of the 200 is amazing. what ever bike you choose take a look at Hyde racing skid pates and other guards, they are light and strong.

If you search old post this question comes up several times a year. I went with the 200 because it is light and fun to ride, several friends have 300 and they are good bikes but a different riding style. Does ktm offer the xc and xcw on your side of the pond? The xc would be better if you want to ride MX alot. The 300 is easier to lug down low the 200 has to be reved a little more.

I like the 200 because I can ride it like stole it for a lot longer with out getting tired as compared to the 300. The weight of the 200 is amazing. what ever bike you choose take a look at Hyde racing skid pates and other guards, they are light and strong.

I have the Hyde Racing skidplate and swingarm guards on my 08 XC 200 and they are super light and strong also:thumbsup:

im 6'1 185 i have a 300, i love the thing.. if i had a 200 id wish i had more power,

i am 100% fine with my 300 in the woods and tight trails and hills, you cant beat the versatility of the machine..

just setup the shocs for your weight and youl be verryyy happy

I am 6' 165lb. I have had my eye on a 200 for a while now. I have 0 interest in the 300.

But then again, I have a KX450 for over-the-top power.

It comes down to what type of rider you are and what is the main terrain you ride. I think you already know the pros and cons of each.

The guy who complains about the 200 not having enough power may want a super lugger for easy log crossing or nasty hills. I can't imagine the 200 being deficient. Just maybe not as easy to ride in some cases.

Hope this helps.

I just cam off of a CRF450 well I still have it but it does not get ridden much since I picked up a 300, I love this thing for all types of riding so far. I bought an older one in awsome condition because I was contimplating a new bike this year and didnt want to dump a bunch of cash on a 2t and then not like it. I think I have made up my mind though and will be buying a new 300 later this year, I should be able to sell this one for what I have in it or more so a win win for me.

Either bike will feel alot lighter after riding the 4st. i've got a RMZ-450 and a 300 and just put a deposit on a 200 for the girlfriend so soon beable to review all of them but right now all i ever ride is the 300, 100 times more enjoyable off road then the 450. I also run some harescrambles as well, the ktm 2st are truely the do it all bikes.

the 300 is a great bike, but it takes a big man to ride one on the pipe for any decent amounts of time, smooth is the key with them, they've got the low end to ware you out quickly in the ST if you get throttle happy at the wrong moments, however a 200 has just the right amount of power, still has plenty of low end zip for single trails, but she loves the pipe, in the open stuff it's the kinda bike that you can ride flat stick all day and not feel overly tired at the end.

however for long, technical, sandy, low traction or winding hill climbs you cannot beat the 300, torque and ridability down low for the tricky low traction sections with massive top end for the open sandy bits, or if you want to cruise along lugging it through the trails, then the 300 gets the nod again, also the 09 300's of all bread's have electric start if that's important to you.

if the static weight of the bikes an issue, then keep in mind a 300 EXC-E is still 104 KG without fuel, and 113 with a full tank, around the same with a full tank as your CRF (KTM 2 stroke have an 11.5 liter tank) while the 200 is about 5 KG lighter

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 200 at this stage it's the lightness and 6 speed box that's attracting me, also here in the UK the 200 is $1000 bucks cheaper ( that's money in my pocket for a rear ohlins shock).

Good point on the weights ttoks: "if the static weight of the bikes an issue, then keep in mind a 300 EXC-E is still 104 KG without fuel, and 113 with a full tank, around the same with a full tank as your CRF (KTM 2 stroke have an 11.5 liter tank) while the 200 is about 5 KG lighter"

My dealer stats are ( dry weight) crf 250x 106 kg , 300 103kg and the 200 exc at 97kg and

tanks sizes crf 250x 8.5 litres, 300 and 200 at 9.5 litres. I know the manufactures like to fudge these statistics.

Can anyone explain how easy it is to tune the 200 to pull hard low down and still sing up top ( yes I know I want it all) whats involved and do you need to spend the bucks to get it there??

Also if the weights my main issue then why not a more powerful kx/yz 250 kitted out with fly wheel weight??

the 200 is a good next step from a 250F. until you ride one, you won't know what you are missing. Unless you are riding open terrain all the time, more power doesn't make you faster.

I have become a better rider on my 200 vs any of the other bikes I have owned. I don't have to be concerned with the 200 getting away from me and can concentrate on form, riding smooth, and being aggressive with still being able to control the bike. IOW, I get no surprises, allowing me to work on just getting better and faster.

The gearing on the 200 allows it to pull just as well down low, at least for me.

If I had stepped to the 200 from my WR, I wouldn't had to have sank so much money into purchasing my other bikes. :)

there's been much talk on this, a search will turn up a lot.

my buddy has a 200

i borrow for a joy ride once when he just completed a top end overhaul

the setting, jetting, sprockt size etc is a low end monster

i asked if he had big bored it, but he said it is still a 200cc

but to me, i feel like a 250 smoker!! :)

the power to weight ratio is unreal! :banghead:

Head mods are around $350 us

http://www.slavensracing.com/

I'm sure you would want to use someone local to avoid shipping.

too bad the slavens is 04-07.. i have an 03 and would love to have some good head mods..

the 200 is a good next step from a 250F. until you ride one, you won't know what you are missing. Unless you are riding open terrain all the time, more power doesn't make you faster.

I have become a better rider on my 200 vs any of the other bikes I have owned. I don't have to be concerned with the 200 getting away from me and can concentrate on form, riding smooth, and being aggressive with still being able to control the bike. IOW, I get no surprises, allowing me to work on just getting better and faster.

The gearing on the 200 allows it to pull just as well down low, at least for me.

If I had stepped to the 200 from my WR, I wouldn't had to have sank so much money into purchasing my other bikes. :)

there's been much talk on this, a search will turn up a lot.

gmoss are you saying that all them previous bikes you have got listed at the bottom of your posts, non were better for you than your 05 200.

I hear the 200exc 08 and 09's are even better, must be a cool bike!

If you get the 2009 200 you wont need the ohlins. My 2009 200 xc-w feels like I had the front and rear sent out and revalved. 5.10 175#

for what an ohlins shock cost's, your get better value for money out of a quality revalve job.

gmoss are you saying that all them previous bikes you have got listed at the bottom of your posts, non were better for you than your 05 200.

I hear the 200exc 08 and 09's are even better, must be a cool bike!

YES, for what I ride and my skill level, ST woods environment and a mid pack B rider.

my 07 250SX holds a close 2nd.