Sign in to follow this  

Trans oil in crank case

Well after my figuring out while my bike was smoking after my new top end, it is bc there is trans oil in my crank case. Went an called a local dealer and they said that the main crank seal was out and that it happens some times. how difficult is it to replace and what is all involved. It cant be that hard they were going to charge a little over $100 labor and the seal and o-ring are about $30.

the problem is---why is the seal leaking?? USUALLY its cuz the main bearing is bad and no new seal will fix that. If you have the shop do it have them check the bearing play too. If you decide to go with just a new seal and it doesnt last too long you will know its the bearing.

Wouldn't both bearings typically go out together? I would think that both bearings would wear out the same time (typically???) So you could pull your ignition cover and check for play via the flywheel? I honestly have no clue I am just throwing a un-educated guess out here. Feel free to slam me in the dirt.

not necessarily, it could go bad cuz it was a bad part, installed wrong, damaged on install. Also the right side has more load on it from the gears it drives where the L side just spins uniformly.