Sign in to follow this  

Test Drive my 750

I'm looking for someone in the St. Louis Area to let me test drive their DRZ 400 SM while you are test riding my 2002 Honda VF750 Magna. I have wanted some sort of dual sport bike for years and was ready to add one to the stable until I finally realized late last year that I did not need to spend money on a second bike now.

In short. It's my second Magna and I love this bike for a road bike. I have an attachment to it as well as it's been discontinued and this is the second to last year model. If I sell it, I will have a tough time replacing it with the same bike. It's got a v4, smooth as can be and a long revving power band, redline is like 10.5K. It looks good too. I like standard seating positions.

Now, I am deciding whether to sell it or not and replace it with a DRZ 400SM.

I don't even ride but 2-3K per year and I rarely ride 2-up. I'm looking for some more fun these days and I don't know if I will like the smaller displacement motor or not. I'm thinking I will like the suspension, wheelies, looking cool, being able to explore down a hard packed road etc.

To me, it seems like I'd be trading a really cool cruiser for a a really cool dirtbike. That's why I need to ride one.

Although I can't offer a test ride swap since I'm far away from you. I can offer the advice that I sold my 2003 GSXR750 for a DRZ400SM and havn't regretted it once. The gixxer was a hell of a lot of fun, but on a serious level. The DRZ is fun on a whole different level, it definatly put the "giggle" factor back into riding for me.

A buddy of mine who crashed his GSXR 750 replaced it with a Husky 610 SM. He loves that Husky to bits.

I had a crack at a 610. The little bit of extra seat height was too much for me. I have sit on a DRZ400SM in the shop and could touch down with one foot on a peg and maybe tip of both toes. Also, the 610 was only a couple of years old but had some rust already showing in spots.

Plus I was concerned about not having a dealer here.

That brings me back to a DRZ. I'm not into lowering bikes unless it's done right which is $$$$.

Although I can't offer a test ride swap since I'm far away from you. I can offer the advice that I sold my 2003 GSXR750 for a DRZ400SM and havn't regretted it once. The gixxer was a hell of a lot of fun, but on a serious level. The DRZ is fun on a whole different level, it definatly put the "giggle" factor back into riding for me.

These are the comments I keep hearing so many times. I guess I have to believe. It's just so hard to part with my beloved Magna.

I had a 84 V65 MAGNA and I can relate to how your feeling. The difference is this, the DRZ is alot more fun around town and holds its own on the fwy (unless you ride around at 100+). You don,t take your MAGNA off rode, right? So, its a no brainer, you,ll be glad you did. Also, it will put a smile on your face.. PS. If you can keep the MAGNA and pick up the DRZ then that would be optimal. Hope this helped you........