Sign in to follow this  

PW50 will not start!

I need a little help here guys. I do not have a service manual for this bike so I'm guessing as I go. My son's PW50 will not start now. A few weeks ago he rode it and then parked in it the garage. We had a cold snap with some snow and he wanted to ride in the snow but it would not start. We kicked it so much the ratcheting part of the kick start it acting funny now. ANyways I figured we fouled the plug so I finally bought a new one. Still will not start. Checked for spark and it seems to be getting a decent spark with the plug out of the bike. So I put it back in and it still will not start. It is getting fuel and what i think is a decent spark. What gives?

I have heard of the start/run switch gives problems but I do not have a test proceedure for it.

Ay ideas?:)

Ray

Just unplug the white connector behind the number plate.

I did that today and still no start. I guess I will have to buy a manual and tear into it. I just wanted to have a quick fix until my son's birthday and he is given the XR80R.

Ray

What about the oil and the air filter? many people over look these things

Check and Ckeck.:)

As for the compression, I do not have a compression gauge that will fit these threads. The finger over the hole method feels good. It would seem strange that it was running strong one day and nothing the next, be caused by compression but I will see if I can get a fitting for the smaller plug threads.

I wish there was a way to hook a starter up to this thing. Kicking it for a while gets old quick.:banghead:

Ray

Some of the small bikes you can push start, depends on the clutch.

Bring the bike to the top of a big hill

Sit on bike.

Place in first or second gear.

Duck walk while sitting on the bike.

Once momentum starts the bike moving, put feet on pegs.

Hold on.

This will give you a little bit of time to mess with the throttle to see if it will start.

Repeat.

Hold on, PW 50, no clutch, no gears, hard to bump start these little guys.

I had same issue, I had to pull the carb apart and clean it. May have had the gas evaporate and left oil in the carb, so it won't start.

If you are getting spark, I would go with cleaning th carb.

Well I'm giving my son the XR80R on his birthday in a few weeks. I deceided to just wait to work on the PW50 until after his birthday. Since it will be my daughters bike when she is old enough I'm thinking of doing a top end on it since it will not be ridden for a while.

As for the gas evaporating and leaving oil in it, the PW is oil injected and oil is not in the carb, that and the fact that I don't think that 5 days is long enough to evaporate the fuel.

I will see if it is something simple later.

Thanks

Ray

I had same issue, I had to pull the carb apart and clean it. May have had the gas evaporate and left oil in the carb, so it won't start.

If you are getting spark, I would go with cleaning th carb.

A lot of the auto clutches drag enough to turn the engine over with significant persuasion (hence the adult rider and big hill).

As for the compression, I do not have a compression gauge that will fit these threads. The finger over the hole method feels good. It would seem strange that it was running strong one day and nothing the next, be caused by compression but I will see if I can get a fitting for the smaller plug threads.

I wish there was a way to hook a starter up to this thing. Kicking it for a while gets old quick.:banghead:

Ray

Wasn't really asking about a specific reading, more so an obvious loss of compression. PW's seem to be able to run at rediculously low compression levels.

PW's are very hard to start when it's cold. Spray a little starting fluid in the cylinder and it should fire up. It may take a couple of tries. If it starts and only runs a few seconds then you have an issue with the carb. Take it off and clean it.

Good Luck!

I've blown plug threads out by spraying ether directly in the cylinder. Spray it in the intake side of the carb or air box, much safer.

Ok had a few minutes to look at it tonight. It is now running but have another issue.

The fuel bowl was full of 2 cycle oil.:) This is a stock bike so the injection system is still hooked up. I pulled the oil line off and let it sit and nothing drips when it is parked and not running. Not sure what the deal is now. Could this have happened when we were trying to start it with the fouled plug originally or do I have an oil pump issue?

Anyway I pulled the carb and cleaned it out. Bike runs just like always now.:banghead:

If there is going to be issues with this again I might concider pulling the pump and doing premix.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Ray

Ray

you can start a pw without kicking. Take the flywheel cover off and put a socket on a battery powered drill using a bit. Then turn it over using the nut on the crank holding the flywheel on.

Is it smokin' like it outta? If so, leave it alone.

I'd bet that it probably got the 2-smoke oil in the carb because of kicking it over so much without it running.

If your 50 carb is built like the 80 carb, I can see this happening, the oil runs into the carb (not sucked into the crank case like it would be when it's running) and then drains down to the bottom of the carb throat where the main is, from there it makes it's way to the bottom of the float bowl.

If it's not smokin', then something is wrong in the pump and you want to fix it ASAP, but the pumps are pretty simple so it probably just needs a good cleaning. Here again, I can't see something clogging a line or channel and dumping oil into the carb bowl.

If you are getting spark, I would go with cleaning the carb.

Yes it has happened before. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I tried to point this out earlier but I seemed to have been poo pood on it.

Most likely from cranking over and over giving it gas. The gas in the carb will pass and leave unburnt oil in the carb. I had it happen, cleaned the carb and put a new plug in and all has been fine.

Yes it has happened before. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I tried to point this out earlier but I seemed to have been poo pood on it.

Most likely from cranking over and over giving it gas. The gas in the carb will pass and leave unburnt oil in the carb. I had it happen, cleaned the carb and put a new plug in and all has been fine.

Sorry,

I was thinking of pre mixed fuel and it sitting with the mixed fuel in the bowl and the gas evaporating leaving the oil in the bowl. You were not specific about how the oil gotin the carb bowl.

Thanks for your input.

Ray